Aa
A
A
A
Close
Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
592208 tn?1219067611

pain after breast aug.

I had breast augmentation 7 months ago> I am still experiencing intermittent pain in the muscle. This happens many times throughout the day and everyday. My areolas are very sensitive & side of both breasts are still numb, I told my surgeon and he said it was normal, I will have to massage my breasts for the rest of my life. I also have a lot od scar tissue on my right areola. This from day one. I need to know if this is normal, should I get a second opinion, and if it's normal how long does it last?
Tired of being in pain,
Lynn
1 Responses
242582 tn?1193616720
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Although occasional intermittent breast discomfort does occur seven months after breast augmentation, it would be unusual to have persistent daily pain. In my practice, I never have patients massage their breasts (although many surgeons do suggest this).  My rate of capsule contracture is low and I feel that exercise and use of the pectoral muscles is just as effective (if not more effective) than self massage.   If you are not satisfied with your surgeon's response to your persistent pain, then a second opinion may be appropriate.
Popular Resources
Wish you could get back your pre-pregnancy body? Dr. Michael B. Wolfeld explains why new mothers are undergoing a cosmetic precedure called the "mommy makeover."
Whether you have excess skin that needs removal or want a quick fix for those vanity pounds, there are options. Plastic surgeon Michael B. Wolfeld, MD, describes two types of tummy tucks.
Ophthalmologist Michael Kutryb reports on the success (or failure!) of LATISSE.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.