Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Forum

swollen lip after stitches

I recently had a through and through laceration in my lower lip. I recieved 8 stitches which all healed fine and were removed by a doctor. After aproximately 18 days after the accident my lip was healed farely well. A small scar and some hard scar tissue was all that remained. A couple of days later my lip became swollen next to the exterior scar. this is not scar tissue this is softer. I have had scar tissue on my lips and can tell the difference. This swollenness has been apparent for 4 days. What could this be? Thank you.
The swelling is either the result of a re-bleed into the lip with a hematoma formation or, more likely, residual scar tissue that often build up whenever a through and through laceration occurs.  If this persists after several months, minor surgery may required to correct the problem.
Hi there,
I have a similiar situation. I had a car accident many years back and have excess scar tissue as a result. I also had 15 stitches inside my upper lip. Years gone by and it is noticeably larger. I am going this afternoon to have the scar tissue removed via laser. My lip wasnt bad for the first few years but over time it became alot worse. I will let you know the results if you are considering having it removed. Best of luck~Katie
Wish you could get back your pre-pregnancy body? Dr. Michael B. Wolfeld explains why new mothers are undergoing a cosmetic precedure called the "mommy makeover."
Whether you have excess skin that needs removal or want a quick fix for those vanity pounds, there are options. Plastic surgeon Michael B. Wolfeld, MD, describes two types of tummy tucks.
Ophthalmologist Michael Kutryb reports on the success (or failure!) of LATISSE.