Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Forum

undissolvable stiches

I had a tummy tuck and the belly button had problems healing.  The Dr. went in and did a scar revision and this time used undissolvable stiches inside to keep it strong and together.  Now, I ask what happens to those stiches after awhile?  He said these are great b/c I will never have a problem again.  This was 4 years ago and the scar has continued to be red around the belly button.
Thanks.

If non-dissolvable sutures were used, they will always stick around.  They don't go away like dissolvable sutures would.  They may be fine and never cause you a problem.  If you are noticing redness around the scar you may or may not have a reaction to the sutures.  You should see your plastic surgeon for a full evaluation.
Are non-dissolvable sutures normal use?  The Dr. who did this has moved out of State three years ago..  Should I be worried?

Non-dissolvable sutures are used by some surgeons, while some only prefer dissolvable sutures.  It really is surgeon preference.  If your doctor has moved out of state, and if you have any concerns, I recommend you making an appointment with a plastic surgeon in your area.

________________

follow Dr. Wolfeld on Twitter @drwolfeld
Wish you could get back your pre-pregnancy body? Dr. Michael B. Wolfeld explains why new mothers are undergoing a cosmetic precedure called the "mommy makeover."
Whether you have excess skin that needs removal or want a quick fix for those vanity pounds, there are options. Plastic surgeon Michael B. Wolfeld, MD, describes two types of tummy tucks.
Ophthalmologist Michael Kutryb reports on the success (or failure!) of LATISSE.