Cosmetic Surgery Community
996 Members

Cortisone injections damaged eye tissue following cosmetic surgery

I had cosmetic surgery a year ago.  The right eye was excessively bruised, swollen and painful.  The surgeon injected cortisone on two ocassions.  Now the eye looks like I have a "shiner. The top of the cheek is lower than the left so facial symmetry is lost.  The tissue under the eye is atrophied. The skin is very thin and painful like a burn.  There were numerous blood vessels which he has cauterized.  The eye remains painful which causes me to fear muscle damage.  He injected fat from my belly in November and told me it would be 18 mos. before I knew if it had taken and "grown" to restore tissue to the area. I want him to repeat the injection or try something else. It doesn't look like all the fat survived.  There is a ridge of thickened tissue but depressions still exist on either side.  What do you recommend?
Indentations are very common after steroid injections. The healing depends on the depth of the skin. If it is very deep involving multiple layers of skin then it may cause a small indentation. In that case laser resurfacing can be considered. But if it is superficial then it may heal with passage of time.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Wish you could get back your pre-pregnancy body? Dr. Michael B. Wolfeld explains why new mothers are undergoing a cosmetic precedure called the "mommy makeover."
Whether you have excess skin that needs removal or want a quick fix for those vanity pounds, there are options. Plastic surgeon Michael B. Wolfeld, MD, describes two types of tummy tucks.
Ophthalmologist Michael Kutryb reports on the success (or failure!) of LATISSE.