Cosmetic Surgery Community
1k Members

Is It Possible To Prove That Abdominoplasty Is A Medical Necessity?

Eleven years ago, my big, beautiful twin boy and girl were delivered by C-section.  My baby girl weighed eight lbs and my boy weighed six and a half lbs.  At eight months pregnant my belly measured four-and-a-half feet around!  Ever since their birth, I have had a fatigued feeling and soreness in my lower abdominal muscles.  This spring, I was really trying to get in shape, and exercised harder than I ever have; but awoke one night at the end of May with a dull, throbbing pain in my right groin.  I have all the symptoms of a femoral hernia on both my left and right sides.  On October 16, an ultrasound of the femoral triangle showed no signs of a hernia on either side.  I have consulted two surgeons who cannot feel hernias.  And after ordering a gynecological ultrasound, my ob/gyn says that I do not have a problem with my female organs.  The only thing I do know for sure, is that the plastic surgeon I consulted has told me that I have diastasis recti (there is at least a three-finger gap in my lower abdominal muscles).  She feels that "in theory" a tummy tuck could possibly relieve my discomfort.  I have not had a CT scan yet; afraid that it will not show the source of my pain either.  Walking causes the pain to worsen.  However, the thing that sets off the throbbing the most often, is when I cross my legs (as if something is getting pinched).  It is worse at night when I'm lying on my side.  The "pinched" feeling sets off throbbing pain that lasts for hours.  Should I see a specialist?  What can I do to locate the cause of this pain?  The plastic surgeon has told me that my abdominal muscles are coming in at an angle rather than straight down, and that could be a possible cause of discomfort.  Do you agree?  Is it possible to prove to my insurance company that abdominoplasty is a medical necessity?
Wish you could get back your pre-pregnancy body? Dr. Michael B. Wolfeld explains why new mothers are undergoing a cosmetic precedure called the "mommy makeover."
Whether you have excess skin that needs removal or want a quick fix for those vanity pounds, there are options. Plastic surgeon Michael B. Wolfeld, MD, describes two types of tummy tucks.
Ophthalmologist Michael Kutryb reports on the success (or failure!) of LATISSE.