Cosmetic Surgery Community
996 Members

Rash on Chest after breast reconstruction surgery

I had my 3rd breast recontruction about 3 weeks ago, after having a double prophylactic mastectomy last August.  I developed a rash on my chest right after surgery, and it continues to get worse, and is not heading up to my shoulder area.  I have tried quite a few things. any suggestions?  IT is red, small and large bumps when scratched or washed break open and then scab over, but they are not blisters.  And they are very itchy!
It looks like an allergic reaction or contact dermatitis after breast reconstruction. You need to keep the area clean with topical antiseptics and antibiotics like Neosporin. Also take oral antihistaminics like Benadryl (may cause drowsiness) or Claritin after consulting your surgeon.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Wish you could get back your pre-pregnancy body? Dr. Michael B. Wolfeld explains why new mothers are undergoing a cosmetic precedure called the "mommy makeover."
Whether you have excess skin that needs removal or want a quick fix for those vanity pounds, there are options. Plastic surgeon Michael B. Wolfeld, MD, describes two types of tummy tucks.
Ophthalmologist Michael Kutryb reports on the success (or failure!) of LATISSE.