Cosmetic Surgery Community
997 Members

Worries about continued numbness, etc. after LB Lift

Dear Dr. Rosenberg,

Thank you for your time!  I am writing because I had a full tummy tuck/belt lipectomy about 9 months ago.  This was due to a huge weight loss (after finally being able to diet/exercise after years of inacitivity d/t a long-standing illness.)  I also had a breast reduction.  I had a qualified surgeon who did a good job and my scars and new body look great.

I am realizing though that the continued numbness and odd "pulling" and "tight" sensations around the scars of the belt-lipectomy are par for the course, and it is unclear how much more normal they will get in terms of sensation.  I do not feel any pain but it is "weird" and uncomfortable, kind of like wearing a too tight pair of pants.  My surgeon said it "should" get better and not to worry about it.  The problem is it is getting me depressed because I am told it could take years for the nerves to regenerate, or it may not get better.   I have started acupuncture/cold lasers with some acupuncturists in Boston who specialize in this but what else can I do?   Would a TENS help?  I don't want to waste money on useless remedies but I am feeling upset.  I guess I was somewhat naiive going into it.  I also know that some people are bothered by these consequences more than others.  I am one of those neurotics I guess!

In your experience might this improve?  What can I do?  (Luckily my breasts feel completely normal now.)

Thanks very much!

Jane
Wish you could get back your pre-pregnancy body? Dr. Michael B. Wolfeld explains why new mothers are undergoing a cosmetic precedure called the "mommy makeover."
Whether you have excess skin that needs removal or want a quick fix for those vanity pounds, there are options. Plastic surgeon Michael B. Wolfeld, MD, describes two types of tummy tucks.
Ophthalmologist Michael Kutryb reports on the success (or failure!) of LATISSE.