Cosmetic Surgery Community
995 Members

bad reaction to hyaluronic acid

I had a lip injection done about 3 wks ago. I've gone to same dr for three previous lip injections each lasting about 8 months. I've never had complications frm the injection other than the usual swelling and bruising and have always been satisfied w results. However, this last visit I had a mixture of juvederm plus mixed w a new hyaluronic acid filler that I've never used b4. I was happy w results until about 2 wkd after visit when I started noticing unusual pain and enormous swelling. I went to dr and he said he'd never seen anything like it. I was prescribed antibiotcs in fear that it was an infection but he said that was unlikely consid the time lapsed. About a day or two after antibiotics my top lip developed a head and I went to dr to have it drained which was very painful. I was then Given steroid shots for swelling and have been waiting for nature to take it's course. I've had a total of 3 absesses very painful that have each drained successfully on their own each toward the corner of my mouth. I'm still paitently waiting one last one to drain but it hasn't yet. Can you please give me insight on what's happening? Should I rule out infection? Should I b reimbursed? What if it doesn't finish draining? Please help!

This discussion is related to Juvederm gone wrong!!.
Why do you think you should be reimbursed since you developed a complication?  Did you think the procedure did not carry any risk, that complications were not possible?  Let's say you had your appendix removed, developed some scar tissue which caused you some pain, do you think you should be reimbursed?  I can tell you that the complications from any procedure (other than cosmetic) would not be treated for free, so consider the additional service your doctor is providing for you.  It does not seem that your doc is at any fault in causing your symptoms, only then would you be entitled to a refund.  To rule this out you need to ask your doc what exactly was in the new hyaluronic acid, any preservatives or other chemicals?

If you think medical procedures carry no risk you should not be getting elective procedures.

As to what's going on with your lips. Could be infection from bad lipsticks/makeup. Could be herpes, could be lots of things.  
Wish you could get back your pre-pregnancy body? Dr. Michael B. Wolfeld explains why new mothers are undergoing a cosmetic precedure called the "mommy makeover."
Whether you have excess skin that needs removal or want a quick fix for those vanity pounds, there are options. Plastic surgeon Michael B. Wolfeld, MD, describes two types of tummy tucks.
Ophthalmologist Michael Kutryb reports on the success (or failure!) of LATISSE.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.