Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community

Budesonide ? Anyone on this ? Good success?

Hi everyone:

I just found this forum today, anyone ever been treated with a medication called : Budesonide?

My Specialist has just put me on this as a maintenance drug and to calm a flare back into remission.

Tks
Nancy
I've never heard of it. Let us know if it helps!!.We could all use good ideas to help our flare ups. Good luck with the new med.
Budesonide is the generic name, i am on Entocort with contains budesonide, because budesonide is not sold generically in the state of new jersey.

I have been on it for about 3 months now, but I was also on it for quite awhile a few years ago. I have never had anything but success with it. there are no side effects. I will be on it for another 2 months and my dr plans to take me off of it. I am also on a antibiotic called Cipro that I will be on for at least another 4 months and I have been on it for just about 2 months now.
I was on budesonide some 8 yrs ago. My then gastro said it only works on the small intestine. It didn't work at all for me - I had a flare within a few weeks of starting it, a severe rectal harmorrhage and was hospitalised for 5 days. Results of colonoscopy in hospital: Pan Crohn's Colitis with numerous ulcers and crypt abscesses. Had IV steroids and blood transfusions.

For the past 7 yrs I have been on mtx, initially orally 25 mg a week, but last 5 yrs self injected mtx, 12.5 mg once a week and doing well. Budesonide does not have the side effects one gets with say prednisone, but I found it didn't work at all for me, probably because I also have Crohn's in the large colon as well as the small intestine.

It is worth a try for you - it does work for some people who only have Crohn's in the small intestine.

Thanks so much for the comments. Its good to know what meds work. Q: Does the dr. give you Budesonide when your having a flare up or do you take it like Asacol on a regular basis to control Crohn's? I'm so afraid to take prednisone again, I didn't like how I had so many side effect with it.
I have been hearing a lot about Methotextrate (thats what you meant by mtx, right?) All the things I have heard are good.
Q: Do you take mtx on a reg. basis? From what it sounds like you do but just checking.
Q: Do you have any side effects from mtx? If yes, what kind of side effects? Mom my used to take it for her Rheumatoid Arthritis and she felt very well with it.
Again thanks for getting back to me.
Budesonide - this was a new drug in England when I was prescribed it. My then gastro thought it would keep my Crohn's in remission. I was not in a flare when it was prescribed, but got one 2-3 weeks afterwards.

Q1: yes, I take it weekly. 12.5 mg self injected. Used to be 25 mg oral tablets, but new gastro switched me to injections as he said he wasn't sure how much of the drug I was absorbing. With injections (they are subcutaneous, and I inject into the fat in my lower abdomen - takes all of 2 minutes to do) we both know how much I am getting. I have been very well since having the injections, no flares at all. Methotrexate is an immuno-suppressant and as far as I know, I will be on it for life. No problem if it stops the flares and haemorrhages.

Q2: Some serious side effects are listed on the pamphlet, but I don't seem to have any. One of the most serious is toxicity to the liver. I have comprehensive monthly blood tests, including liver and kidney panels, and although my MCV and MCH bloods are out of range, on the high side, my gastro says this is a result of the mtx and nothing to be concerned about.

Try and stay away from steroids like prednisone - long term use has have given me low bone density, and I now have to take a weekly bisphosphonate (alendronic acid, Actonel in the US) plus twice daily Calcichew/Vit.D tablets to strengthen my bones and prevent fractures. I had two spontaneous fractures in both feet last year and want to try and prevent a hip fracture. Nobody told me about these side effects of steroids until a few years ago, and I had been on steroids continuously for 30 yrs. I think they are still used to control a severe flare but most doctors know that they don't not keep Crohn's in remission and should not be used long term.

Take care - come back if I can help further.
Liz.
I was given Budesonide when i had a flare up but now i am on it to control the flare up since im not over the last one i had. I will be off it in about 4-6 months.