Aa
A
A
A
Close
Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community
1.92k Members

Curiosity

I am just wondering if it is possible that crohn's disease can be hereditary? and if so, my aunt has it but she is my mothers half sister. Is it possible that i could have crohns? one more question, with the onset of crohns disease do the symptoms come full force or slowly become stronger?
1 Responses
1728693 tn?1332168862
This info is freely available on the 'net. From the U.S. National Library of Medicine:

While the exact cause of Crohn's disease is unknown, the condition is linked to a problem with the body's immune system response.

Normally, the immune system helps protect the body, but with Crohn's disease the immune system can't tell the difference between normal body tissue and foreign substances. The result is an overactive immune response that leads to chronic inflammation. This is called an autoimmune disorder.

People with Crohn's disease have ongoing (chronic) inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract. Crohn's disease may occur in any area of the digestive tract. There can be healthy patches of tissue between diseased areas. The inflammation causes the intestinal wall to become thick.

There are different types of Crohn's disease, depending on the part of the gastrointestinal tract that is affected. Crohn's disease may involve the small intestine, the large intestine, the rectum, or the mouth.

A person's genes and environmental factors seem to play a role in the development of Crohn's disease. The body may be overreacting to normal bacteria in the intestines.

The disease may occur at any age, but it usually occurs in people between ages 15 - 35. Risk factors include:

Family history of Crohn's disease

Jewish ancestry

Smoking

Symptoms

Symptoms depend on what part of the gastrointestinal tract is affected. Symptoms range from mild to severe, and can come and go with periods of flare-ups.

The main symptoms of Crohn's disease are:

Crampy abdominal (belly area) pain

Fever

Fatigue

Loss of appetite

Pain with passing stool (tenesmus)

Persistent, watery diarrhea

Unintentional weight loss

Other symptoms may include:

Constipation

Eye inflammation

Fistulas (usually around the rectal area, may cause draining of pus, mucus, or stools)

Joint pain

Liver inflammation

Mouth ulcers

Rectal bleeding and bloody stools

Skin lumps or sores (ulcers)

Swollen gums
Have an Answer?
Top Digestive Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem
Are you still experiencing symptoms on your current treatment for Ulcerative Colitis or Crohn's and ready for a different treatment/ready for a change?