Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community

Humira

Has anyone been on Humira and what kind of result did you have? Any side effects? I am on lots of meds which are not decreasing the pain. My doctor wants to put me on Humira and I was wondering if anyone out there has had any success with this drug. I am desperate to NOT be in pain anymore. Help...Kim
I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease in December 2004.  I was ok my first two years then spent a lot of time in the hospital.  I tried Remicade and had an allergic reaction.  They tried me on it again and I wasn't responding.  Then, a new 'miracle' drug came out for Crohn's called Humira.  My doctor put me on it and though I had no bad reactions to the medicine my body did not respond to it either.  I had surgery in April 2008 and they removed 15 inches of my intestines.  I have been feeling great ever since.  I am NOT saying surgery is the only way to feel better.  I put off surgery for as long as I possibly could and really believe it should be a last resort.  I have heard of people who have responded well to Humira and hopefully you will be one of those cases.  My only dislike was that I had a hard time stabbing myself with a needle.  I kinda got used to it though.  Good luck to you!
I have psoriatic arthritis, and severe psoriasis, I just started the Humira on 2/22/17. Since starting this drug, I get terrible night sweats, two to three headaches a day, I am sure I have strep throat, snores on the left side of the roof of my mouth, sore throat into my chest, pain in my stomach, lower and middle back, pain in my arms elbows, throbbing sharp stabbing pain in my right side of the neck into my right lung (chest) area, goes under my right arm, and just today I have numbness in the middle finger on the right hand, and bad pain in my right elbow. Also pain in my left arm, almost feels like it's in my bones.  I was very skeptical to go on this drug for seven years I fought it, but the psoriasis has spread like wild fire over 65% of my body. Calling my doctor in the morning.
I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease december 2007 and hadnt responded well to anything, however, monday of this week I was started on humira and my stomach hasnt felt this good in a long time. I am having little to no diarrhea. However humira is causing me to have a headache, feel nauseated, and some other things. But its not easy giving yourself shots especially if you dont like needles, but to me it is worth it and I might actually be able to enjoy the holidays this year which is the best gift anyone could have given me this CHRISTmas. I am still in a little pain but not much. So its already worth it and its only been a few days.
WOW! Its been about 3 weeks and all that I have changed is swopping to humira and I have very little pain...it is sooo worth every shot I have to give myself...my doctor also put me on prednisone though...so that is also a change and does stop flares...but its so worth it....It depends on your doctor's opinion because I even had more tests done to make sure mine was crohns before I even was started on humira and then went through about 8 more months of torture because I didnt listen to my doctor's advice the first time...but after that 8 months I basically went in and asked him to do something cause I couldnt take it anymore and it has been worth every minute of it...Also get the doctors to watch your iron because I now have iron deficiency because of bleeding and other things with crohns
I never heard of Humira....... I am on Purinethol a medication to prevent fistulas.....and I take a packet of Cholestramine in the morning in juice or lactose free milk........with my breakfast and it really helps me a lot.......(Cholestramine binds me so I have better bowel movements).....with the diet I am on it works most of the time.....I also had a bowel resection and I have very little pain any more........hope you feel well and please take care
humira has not worked for me, caused drug induced lupus
waiting on a drug called leukine
Hi,  I've been on Humira for 9months with great results.  I'd been having a lot of problems with crohn's arthritis too but other than my back pain the rest of my joints are essentially pain-free.  It's a very painful shot but I got my doc to order Lidocaine cream by prescription and put it on 1 hr before the injection and that has taken care of the problem.  Hope it works well for you.  Also it took about 3 injections to see any remarkable improvements.

Pat
I have not been on Humira but was on Remicade with great results.  My chrons had progressed so far by the time I started the Remicade that I had developed fistulas and had to have surgery.  I decided not to continue with the Remicade after the surgery because I was doing so well.  If need be I will try the Remicade again becuase I know that if I develop a reaction from the Remicade (since I was on it previously) I will then try Humira.  However, i cannot say enough good things about the Remicade.  I truly believe that if I had not started on the Remicade I would have been in the hopsital the next week.
Good luck.
Thanks all, for your responses. I am still waiting for an answer from the pharmaceutical company on the Humira, as I also have NO insurance. I am on Endocort (steroid with a LOT less side effects than prednisone), Pentassa, Depression meds, Trammadol (pain), percocet (pain), azathioprine 75mg. Still, I am in pain almost daily. Every once in a while I have a good day. I am really having a hard time, mentally and physically. I have always been very active, early to rise and then go go go go... Now, I hate waking up because usually my pain is the most severe in the morning, which keeps me from being able to function.  Financially, well...you get it...meds are so expensive. My Doc has been great with any available samples, even so, the expense is outragous! The pain is either severe or just enough to keep me down on the couch.It seems if I am laying down it becomes less severe, but who can lay around all day? I am getting increasingly depressed and have really had enough. I am miserable and I have a family to take care of which sometimes I just CAN'T do, which also increases the depression. I won't eat at times just to slow down the bathroom trips and lessen pain and bloating. I feel achy in my bones, exhausted and have had a temp all this week. Ok, I have vented...lol...I am really just becoming a big mess and don't know how to deal with it right now. Thanks guys and gals...for being here! Kim
If you have a temp it probably means your chorns is active.  You need to see your dr about getting some antibiotics.
Good luck
Kind of sounds like you may have IBS as well...yes if you ever have a fever now that you have been diagnosed with crohns disease cause it could mean you either have an infection or the crohns is currently flared up either one they can give you an antibiotic for...Currently I have tried medicines in every category for crohns and nothing has worked even took two or three in some of the categories...they are still trying to find something that works for me and I am trying to learn to cope and still live a completely normal life. My doctor is stumped and doesnt know what else to try...So I understand...GOD bless
Have you started the Humeria and is it helping?