Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community

Lower Chest, Upper Abdominal Pain. [Crohn's Disease]

Hi, My name is Alex and I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease when I was 16, I am now 25. I have been in and out of the hospital 4 times since January for complications with the disease. I had 2 abscesses that have since been 'cured', i guess you could say. They're no longer there. I was in the hospital about a two weeks ago with pains and a fistule in my small intestine causing me a lot of pain. I have been uncomfortable since I was discharged. I have also had constipation from the pain medication that they have me on. I've been taking stool softeners to solve this. But here lies my question... I have been having severe stabbing pains under my left lower rib cage/upper abdomen. These pains will come and go and correspond with my 'flare ups' that i get from time to time, but not always. The pain in my lower chest is not anything I've felt before, and no, it doesn't feel like a regular crohn's 'flare up'. The 'flare ups' have also gone from a burning sensation to more of a stabbing/tearing sensation as well but don't last as long as they were last week. The abdomen pain was also originally located in my right side but has moved to my left since the pain in my lower chest has started.. I'm also on Prednisone and Protonix. I had   originally thought that the pain was being caused from not taking my Prednisone for a day, skipping a whole dose. That was last sunday, and it is now the following saturday and the pain still persists. Since yesterday afternoon I have been debating going to the ER because the Doctors at the hospital had told me not to hesitate coming back if there were anymore complications.. But they also told me that the pain (abdominal, not lower chest) may persist for a quite a while. I'm wondering if this chest pain could be another abscess or anything i should be worried about that couldn't wait until later this week when i may be able to make an appointment. I have come close to being VERY VERY ill from an abscess because they caught it in it's late stages and now i'm very paranoid of that happening again. So is there a chance that could be it? Is there a chance it could be something not even related to my Crohn's? I have been searching the internet and many sites like these and have seen similar cases but theres so many different diagnosis such as Pancreaitis, Gall Bladder infection, and plain ol' gas. Please help!
I am not a Crohn's expert.  My brother-in-law has had it since his teen years.  I read on the internet that about 60% of Crohn's patients also have celiac disease.  Celiac disease is the body's autoimmune reaction to gluten (found in wheat, barley, rye and possibly oats).  Of course, I don't know if this has anything to do with your problem.  But to find out if gluten is a problem for you and possibly causing you more discomfort, you can try a gluten free diet to see if you get relief.   You'll need to stick with the diet for at least 6 months.  You might get some relief within a few days or maybe you'll get relief  in a few months.  I guess it depends on what shape your intestines are in.  When following this diet, you have to be 100% gluten free - the smallest amount of gluten can trigger an autoimmune reaction.  My family follows a gluten free diet, so if you need help with the diet (if you 'd like to give it a try) I can help.  Just leave me a message.