Current Events . . . Community
42 Members

Deadly Fungus Spreading in U.S., Canada

Deadly Fungus Spreading in U.S., Canada

Friday, April 23, 2010 8:59 AM

A potentially deadly strain of fungus is spreading among animals and people in the northwestern United States and the Canadian province of British Columbia, researchers reported on Thursday.

The airborne fungus, called Cryptococcus gattii, usually only infects transplant and AIDS patients and people with otherwise compromised immune systems, but the new strain is genetically different, the researchers said.

"This novel fungus is worrisome because it appears to be a threat to otherwise healthy people," said Edmond Byrnes of Duke University in North Carolina, who led the study.

"The findings presented here document that the outbreak of C. gattii in Western North America is continuing to expand throughout this temperate region," the researchers said in their report, published in the Public Library of Science journal PLoS Pathogens. Click here.

"Our findings suggest further expansion into neighboring regions is likely to occur, and we aim to increase disease awareness in the region."

The new strain appears to be unusually deadly, with a mortality rate of about 25 percent among the 21 U.S. cases analyzed, they said.

"From 1999 through 2003, the cases were largely restricted to Vancouver Island," the report reads.

"Between 2003 and 2006, the outbreak expanded into neighboring mainland British Columbia, and then into Washington and Oregon from 2005 to 2009. Based on this historical trajectory of expansion, the outbreak may continue to expand into the neighboring region of Northern California, and possibly further."

The spore-forming fungus can cause symptoms in people and animals two weeks or more after exposure. They include a cough that lasts for weeks, sharp chest pain, shortness of breath, headache, fever, nighttime sweats, and weight loss.

It has also turned up in cats, dogs, an alpaca, and a sheep.

Freezing can kill the fungus and warmer weather may be helping it spread, the researchers said.

© 2010 Reuters. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.
Better close the borders and ground air traffic! Now!
Wow always something to fear and to keep people in panic mode. :(
I gather you guys are making jokes so it cant be very dangerous LOl  
What this article did not mention was that they have tracked the vectors back to mainland China (the world's leading chemical/biological warfare specialists) and that this fungus is "more than likely" an "engineered" fungus that dramatically increases it's mortality rate.

This is an absolutely TERRIFYING scenario, because as our economy melts down, when China calls in their loans to us, and we default, the loans were secured by using very large portions of American soil as collateral.  When (not if) that happens China will move in either NATO or Chinese military troops to enforce their "property rights" and defend them, as they kow American citizen's aren't going to sit by and let our land be simply taken.

Right now, the government, in collusion with the Federal Reserve bank (which is, contrary to popular belief a PRIVATE corporation, not a Government agency) is devaluating the dollar by printing obscenely large amounts of "fiat" currency.  The economic effects of this devaluation is not felt by the actual citizens for approximately 8-10 months.

What better way to get ready to defend what China will legally assume is theirs, than by killing off 25% of the common folk, prior to sending in troops, while over 85% of our nations military is scattered all around the world?

Marg, when people are faced with impending horror, it is always easier to joke about it than it is to deal with the terror.  I personally don't expect to live through all this as my body appears to be finally shutting down, and I am glad of that.  I'd make a joke too, but since I have been researching this for about six-months, I can't find anything actually funny about it.  That's not to criticize those who are able to at all, for I KNOW that "gallows humor" is a great defense against uncertainty, impending events and being able to accept the good and the bad with a laugh.

Check with the Center for Disease Control, (CDC) and you will find a 25% mortality rate in otherwise healthy people is nearly unheard of!  It IS dangerous. Very dangerous. However, IMHO, we should get all the love, the laughter and the friendship we can, while we can.

I believe I've already been exposed to this once, (I had ALL of the above symptoms) it took me from 248 pounds down to 185 in the six weeks I was deathly ill, and as of yesterday I am starting to get the same symptoms all over again.  I'll let you know if I die...lol.

Vin
This is a very very scary scenario indeed but did not attach it in my mind to the bonds China has. I heard (dont remember where) that China is selling those off here and there, do you know anything about that?

I am not surprised by this and we should expect more of the same. Times are getting very scary indeed. The scenario you present makes too much sense to me.

I have not read your profile so what do you mean when you say your body is shutting down? What is your matter if you dont mind me asking?
I am a bit confused here.  You are saying the Chinese planted this fungus in 1993 on Vancouver Island (in Canada) in the hopes of killing off US citizens 17 years later, knowing the US would be in debt to them?  I am not mocking you here, just trying to understand how this could be.  Or am I missing something?
You wrote:

"What this article did not mention was that they have tracked the vectors back to mainland China (the world's leading chemical/biological warfare specialists) and that this fungus is "more than likely" an "engineered" fungus that dramatically increases it's mortality rate."

Could you provide a site supporting this China connection and the fact that it is "engineered"?

Mike
I didnt mean it seriously  you mistook what I meant, ,I have not heard about it and I do realise sometimes people say things when they are scared ...
I just googled it and you get mixed reviews about it, some playing it down others saying its more serious , havent heard much on the news unless we have missed it because of the Oil spill and Immigration in AZ .
I originally found this in an abstract of a CDC article by typing Cryptococcus gattii + China into their search function.  I would expect the Brookings Institute to have further information as well.  Also, you can check the National Geographic site and search under "Chines War Mushrooms."  I can't find the exact site I found last night, and no...this fungi was not kept on Vancouver Island since 1999.  It was modified to increase the mortality rate, and the engineered form was found in Vancouver (or Hongcouver as its known locally) was where it entered the U.S.  You need to keep in mind, that any mainstream media source is and has been totally controlled by our government shortly after WWII.  

A further consideration is that the Chinese culture has existed for over NINE THOUSAND YEARS, whereas America has only been around a bit over 200 years.  The Chinese do not think in terms of "the next election" or "the next decade" or even the "next century."  Mao Tse Tung's 5000 year plan, which the leaders of China follow to this day, is world domination without military bloodshed.

You should read it, sometime.  It is a fascinating and all too logical "plan," that not only should work, but is working.

Also I did add that it was only "my" opinion, based on research I had done into the World Health Organizations Environmental Sustainability Study (which was basically "buried" in 1996) wherein the "experts' said that the planetary population had to be brought down to under 5 billion people, or the earth itself would die.  I didn't mean to say "This is what is true," just presented a logical scenario based on past events and current events.

I hope that clears things up a bit.

Vin
I did Google it and I found nothing that supported your statement. I usually try to find some support or reference before I ask.

Apparently you haven't been able to find anything either.

And unfortunately, no - that really didn't clear anything up.

Mike

I am a Canadian who spent most of my life in Vancouver, although I now live in Calgary, Alberta.  Yes, we do have a very large Chinese population there who I have to say are a wonderful asset to the city.  Vancouver is a very multicultural city, and most Vancouverites are very proud of that fact.  We also have a very large East Indian and Pakistani population, along with Europeans from many different countries.  The majority of my family still lives in Vancouver, so I am there several times a year and have never been overly concerned about this fungus, although I know that it does exist.

I guess I just feel that if the Chinese were really trying to kill off a large population of the US population, they could probably find a faster and easier way to do it.  I am not discounting what you are saying, but like Mikesimon, can't seem to find anything to really support this theory.  However, I know anything is certainly possible.  I do believe however that sometimes a duck is just a duck.  I have been hearing conspiracy theories surrounding everything from the swine flu (both the virus and the vaccine) to SARS, and now this fungus.  So far, none have proved to be well founded, at least in my mind.  I will however check out the references you provided, and again, I am not discounting your theory nor mocking you.

You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.