Current Events . . . Community
42 Members

Gates says Clinton would make a good president

(CNN) – Republicans were quick last week to use former Defense Secretary Bob Gates' new book as ammunition against Hillary Clinton should she decided to run for president again.

But when asked if he thinks the former secretary of state would make a good president, Gates gave an answer that Clinton opponents will likely leave out of future attack ads.

"Actually, I think she would," Gates said in an interview that aired on CBS' "Sunday Morning."

In his memoir, "Duty: Memoirs of a Secretary at War,” Gates writes that Clinton told President Barack Obama that she opposed the 2007 troop surge in Iraq for political reasons because she was running against him in the Iowa presidential caucuses at the time.

“The president conceded vaguely that opposition to the Iraq surge had been political,” Gates writes. “To hear the two of them making these admissions, and in front of me, was as surprising as it was dismaying.”

While Clinton's critics quickly pounced on the admission, Gates otherwise praised Clinton throughout the book.

“I found her smart, idealistic but pragmatic, tough-minded, indefatigable, funny, a very valuable colleague, and a superb representative of the United States all over the world," he writes.

Gates was not as complimentary about Vice President Joe Biden, however.

Although Gates calls Biden “a man of integrity,” he writes, “I think he has been wrong on nearly every major foreign policy and national security issue over the past four decades.”

Asked in the interview Sunday if he thinks Biden would also make a good president, Gates was more diplomatic in his response.

"Well, I suppose to be even-handed, I would have to say I suppose he would," he said, laughing.

SOURCE: http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/01/12/gates-says-clinton-would-make-a-good-president/
As long as she does everything exactly OPPOSITE to obama, she'll be a GREAT president.

Note to any & all future presidential administrations (Dem/Repub/Ind):

1) THINK ABOUT WHAT THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION WOULD DO IN A GIVEN SITUATION
2) DO EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE (180 DEGREES) OF WHAT THEY'D DO IN SAID SITUATION
3) REST ASSURED YOU'LL BE MAKING THE CORRECT DECISION EVERY TIME
I don't think it would be that easy.  I think all politicians are bought and sold and it is the buyers that have control these days.  Hillary has the potential to be as good or bad of a President as we've ever had.
They had gates on television today on the local news. He says they have taken his book way out of context. He agrees with Obama and thinks clinton very capable. He says the media is misconstruing what is in the book, plain and simple. So, I guess we have to read the book.
"I don't think it would be that easy.  I think all politicians are bought and sold and it is the buyers that have control these days.  Hillary has the potential to be as good or bad of a President as we've ever had."  

Ditto...

It's  no longer about who's actually in office, it's about who's contributing the most to put/keep them there that counts.

I think that is pretty much the crux of it.
Yup, they are all in the same pocket whatever side of the political spectrum they claim to be on. I agree with you on this one.
Big bucks runs the country.
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.