Current Events . . . Community
42 Members

Instilling fear to get donors

For those who fear "Obama's socialist agenda" and have fallen for all the other fear tactics, such as Obama is a muslim, Obama doesn't love this country, Death Panels etc. etc. etc., well, I guess the RNC has done what it planned to do very well. Instill fear (false) in people and create chaos, all for recruiting reactionaries, extremists and of course donations.
The Party of No and Obstruction not only despises jobless and uninsured Americans, apparently it also loathes its donors, both big and small.
According to Politico, The RNC Finance Director gave a 74 page power point presentation to top donors and fundraisers at a party retreat in Florida a couple of weeks ago. The presentation mocked at its donors urging fundraisers to appeal to their egos and play upon their fears.
Go ahead Republicans. Keep on emptying your pockets for those who disrespect and ridicule you.
The reason we know about this no longer secret strategy is because someone attending the retreat had left behind a paper handout of the presentation. As we can see, the handout is now making its way through the tubes and Internets.
From a Yahoo "Newsroom" report that cites a Politico "scoop":
The embrace of harsh rhetoric and the swipes at the large donor set seem to signal the GOP establishment's growing comfort with employing tactics associated with the activist Tea Party movement-and with plying Tea Party sympathizers for cash.
Small donors are distinguished from larger donors in terms of approach.
The small donors who are the targets of direct marketing are described under the heading “Visceral Giving.” Their motivations are listed as “fear;” “Extreme negative feelings toward existing Administration;” and “Reactionary.”
Major donors, by contrast, are treated in a column headed “Calculated Giving.”
Their motivations include: “Peer to Peer Pressure”; “access”; and “Ego-Driven.”
I think this is just about the bestest thing that could have happened. It has pretty much clarified what we have suspected all along. Transparancy and clarity. Now I want to hear the defense for this one.

:-)A well-place..."found document".  Interesting.  Could someone in the camp be having questions about things and let down their "guard"?

Anymore, when I hear things, I try to investigate.  There is so much misinformation out there for reasons.

History teaches that "propaganda works"  There is crowd mentality and illusion/disillusion that can be tweaked with the right words/actions.

We, in America, are very individualistic and the idea that our "rights" are being eroded, etc. set us off in flames.  Of course, there are many that just don't pay attention, or are so stressed due to what is going on in their lives, that they cannot devote the time to seeing what is going on.  

That makes it very important to others to be honest in what we share.  I don't want to willingly pass on "lies" or someone's "propaganda".

I want to focus on finding "solutions" and ways to counter these lies.  I have not found that "ignorance is bliss".  

D.

Ok...confession time.  I became a democrat during my teenage years without ever having researched just what they represented....lol!  Along the years, I did not vote "party lines".  Example...I voted for Ronald R.   Sad to say with the fallout, unions deteriorating, his forgetfulness although he had such a charming quick wit and smile (not as broad as Jimmy).  

So, now...maybe I am finally "coming of age" to look under the surface more of just what each party is.  Thanks to this group's postings, I ran a search on ...Are democrats socialists?

Found this neat site right off the bat:
www.dsausa.org/pdf/widemsoc.pdf

I liked the first part:What is Democratic Socialism?

Questions and Answers from the
Democratic Socialists of America
Democratic socialists believe that both the economy and society should be run democratically—to
meet public needs, not to make profits for a few. To achieve a more just society, many structures of our
government and economy must be radically transformed through greater economic and social
democracy so that ordinary Americans can participate in the many decisions that affect our lives.
Democracy and socialism go hand in hand. All over the world, wherever the idea of democracy has
taken root, the vision of socialism has taken root as well—everywhere but in the United States.
Because of this, many false ideas about socialism have developed in the US. With this pamphlet, we
hope to answer some of your questions about socialism.
________________

I won't post anymore as it is up to _____ if you want to read any further.  

What I would like to encourage is for myself, and others to really examine what we want to see changed and why and open to ideas how this can be.

As soon as I think that, I realize the odds are great that it will be bogged down in endless debates like we are witnessing today as we each see and want in our own way...........so who is willing to tweak/adapt/sacrifice a thing or two and if so....what?

I have lived long enough to be sick of endless ranting/complaining while nothing gets done.  

D.

Sorry...had to go eat breakfast (can't live on MedHelp's writings..lol).

Thanks for the post.  I wasn't saying that Democratic Socialists had anything to do with the Democratic Party.  I simply mentioned that I ran a search on this subject ( ...Are democrats socialists?).  Why?  Because of the cries/protests/etc. in the news that Obana is a socialist and is turning America into a Socialistic state.

Shouldn't I do further research to see if this is true?  Or should I believe....let's see....who should I pick as the expert to trust?  

I want to understand it for myself, therefore, I should look a bit deeper into the subject.  Let's see if it fits my experience and what I know to be true in my larger circle.

:-)))

The surface understanding I had of Republicans is that they were the "trickle down" philosophy...help the rich, the rich help the poor....

EXCEPT that my experience is that the "p...p" has flowed down to the poor in many cases.  The middle class eroded as they paid more and more of the taxes...shouldering the burden, and not only that, lost their jobs which put them in the "poorer" category.  

Ok....some pulls themselves up, learn to play the game and others don't.  Their lives are destroyed.  Blame it on them??????  No...I refuse to do that entirely.  That is where responsibility and accountability come in.  

If I cheat you, think it is fine and dandy because I am prospering and move right on.  However, back at the end line is someone hurting and whose life has taken a turn for the worse.  Because I have all the $ to defend myself or drag things on in courts till you give up...........

It doesn't create a pretty picture.

I have values and I think society suffers when there is oppression and corruption.  

So.......I will have to look deeper at the democratic views and if others care to share, I will be interested.

I am not into mocking others for their views.  I may not agree, but agreeing to disagree is better than putting others down for differing views.

:-)))
:-))  Good for you...who is disagreeing?

You spark me to think about how everything separates in dividing to develop new ideas (could call it branching off, splitting off, etc.) and how many see that as breaking off.  However, why can't we see it as improving, enhancing, adding to....etc.?

Example....some one starts a belief  and before you know it there are hundreds of off-shoots (sub-divisions, directories, etc.).

So....some cannot handle that it is not remaining the same as the original for various reasons which is another topic (nevertheless an interesting one as life is so full of interesting topics) and see it as the "enemy", therefore discredit it/ignore it, etc. hoping it will die off and not be "competition".

__________

So many of us have never thought deeply about what influenced us to think the way we do, be who we are, and why do we agree with those we agree with.  We live life coasting in many cases on the surface...riding waves.  It takes something to jar us, capture our interest, turn our attention a different direction.

I don't like to debate for the sake of debating.  That purpose loses it pallor to me.

I am glad that others are seeking answers and we are wanting things to be better not just for ourselves, but everyone.  

:-)))

LOL...we are, I hope--- "moving" towards a better tomorrow, Rory :-)))  

You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.