I totally agree with this article. I think many of us have intolerance to certain food or drink, but in reality it is not an allergy. I think the medical field has used this one to make money. As we age our bodies change and so do the things that bother it. I tend to be lactose intolerent and anytime I eat greasy foods it bothers me. I cannot drink wine because I am one of those who gets the headache from it. I think if something bothers you, dont eat it. Have you noticed how many people have digestive problems these days?
I would also have to agree. It seems that there are so many more with food allergies today then there used to be and I have often wondered how much of it was a true allergy. I too tend to be lactose intolerant, although I can have it in small doses. I have never considered that a dairy allergy, although I know others who do.
On the flip side, I have often also wondered if the increase in food allergies is due to the fact that so many tend to raise their children in "glass bubbles". If they are not exposed to anything, they do not develop a tolerance for it.
Thanks for the article...interesting.
This comes down to a case of sematics .... what the definition of allergy really is. Just because you don't have an "allergy" to a certain food doesn't mean that your reaction is psychological .... it just means it doesn't fall into the narrow scope of allergy.
Allergies and the immune system are both very complex and even intolerances pop up only in certain situations. Like I'm finding out now, gas, bloating and upset stomach have got much worse only the last couple of years, probably lactose intolerance so I switched to soy milk. Now, I normally can tolerant cheese, yogurt and milk in smaller amounts and in cooking. However, this past week my cats have been shedding like mad and knocked my allergies up again. I haven't been able to tolerant any cheese or yogurt without stomach cramps or gas.
I find once one allergy starts up, I can't tolerant anything for a couple of weeks; including creams, lotions, other allergens and certain foods.
Answer: avoid food at this time that bug me, wait for allergies to go down and re-introduce them at that time.
I failed to mention .. LOL .. that I am really pretty neutral on this subject which amazes even me -- given that my teen has life threatening allergies and carries an epi-pen. She is blood test RAST + for latex/plums and nuts with anaphylactic reactions & has been to the ER 2X for undeclared nut reactions. My other teen is + on her skin test for peanut, yet doesn't react, so we treat it with caution.
I am a bit concerned by this report I do know of people and children with real allergies, peanuts and milk I dont know if I agree with the NY Times ...It is possible that some minor aliments are not allergies but I do believe some are real, I get skin allergies, a lot ..
I agree that allergies are real. I also carry an epi pen, but it's for bee stings. I just think that allergies are over diagnosed. Either that or products have changed and we don't have the tolerances to it. I think many are diagnosed with allergies when perhaps it's more of an intolerance.
One of the points I found interesting in the article as well, was that allergies can change. I read somewhere else that our bodies change every 7 years or something? Anyway, my bee allergy is a perfect example of that. I was stung a few times as a child with no problem. The first time I was stung where it caused a major reaction I was in my early 30's.
Repeated exposure to the "allergin/" produces antibodies is my understanding -- especially in insect stings -- & can cause more severe reactions with each expsoure (sting). My other teen is bee sting allergic and the glands in her mouth swell as well as she gets hives/wheals and blisters in distant areas to the sting --- with one of the stings she had a toxic reaction in her hip and lost her range of motion for 6 mos -- yet, the sting was in her thumb! Fast forward -- she is RAST - .. yet, her allergist said to treat it with extreme caution .. you can have a negative results that's false but never a false positive we were told.
Food allergies don’t have to present themselves and swelling or itching. They can cause a child to misbehave or not be able to concentrate, this can happen with adults too but we are better able to control ourselves. Well most of us, lol.
My oldest son would be fine and then all of a sudden after we ate he would become a terror. We tried all the tricks in the book even went to a child physiologist because we thought we were doing something wrong as parents. My Mother in Law was watching a talk show and they were talking about kids with food allergies and it fit him to a “T” we took him to one “Allergist” and the guy was a quack and told us we were wasting our time and only did the skin test. We went to a different allergist that did an under the tongue test for food allergies and we found out he was allergic to corn, wheat and something else, this was 20 some years ago so I forget the last one. Anyway we changed his diet, the poor kid lived on rice cakes and green beans, but it totally changed him for the better.
Our youngest started to have the same problems so we thought we had it nailed and had him tested but nothing showed up. His behavior got worse got to the point he would endanger himself and others, so we had to do something. We experimented with foods and after about 6 months we found was a combo of aspartame and dairy, especially cheese. As an adult he is much better and does ok with dairy but he is very careful to stay away from aspartame and knows when he is having a reaction.
I am allergic to corn and when I eat things like corn chips I cannot concentrate well, but you wouldn’t know to see me.
I do believe that more allergies are diagnosed than what really exists, although there are those with true allergies.
There are certain foods that I eat that cause acid reflux or upset stomach, but I'm not actually allergic to them; in fact, some times I can eat something and other times, I can't eat that same food.
Those with true allergies or even intolerance should be very careful, of course; but I think, as adgal mentioned, some parents raise their kids in a "bubble" so they are never exposed to a lot of things. I used to work with a guy who parents never allowed him to play like a normal child; he was never allowed to get dirty; and was kept away from other kids and people in general -- this guy is allergic to practically everything he looks at.