Current Events . . . Community
42 Members

Obama, Romney woo a vital bloc: women voters

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/18/14534168-first-thoughts-wooing-women?lite

Supporters of U.S. President Barack Obama take photographs with their cameras during his campaign rally at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio, October 17, 2012.

Presidential campaign turns into a contest of wooing women… Obama hits Romney on coal… Romney doesn’t mention Libya on the stump yesterday… Obama and  the fiscal cliff… New NBC/WSJ/Marist polls of Iowa and Wisconsin to come out at 6:30 pm ET… Ad spending crosses the $800 million mark… Our 10 hottest ad markets of the week… And Obama camp plays in Minnesota.
By Chuck Todd, Mark Murray, Domenico Montanaro, and Brooke Brower

***  Wooing women : It’s very possible that the presidential contest could all come down  to a lot of little things and a lot of important demographic groups. But today, it seems, the campaigns are focused on one part of the electorate more than any other -- the female vote. So after the most recent presidential  debate raised women’s issues (equal pay, contraception) to the forefront, a group of women who worked with Mitt Romney when he served as Massachusetts governor today embark on a “We Know Mitt” bus tour through Iowa. In addition, Ann Romney appears on “The View,” while the Romney camp is up with   a TV ad   maintaining that the former Massachusetts doesn’t oppose contraception and thinks abortion should “an option” in cases of rape, incest, or to save the mother’s life. For their part, the Obama campaign and Democrats have seized on Romney’s “binders full of women” line from the debate, with Obama declaring on the trail yesterday: “We don’t have to collect a bunch of binders to find qualified, talented, terrific young women ready to work and teach in these fields right now!” They also have noted that Romney supported the Blunt amendment, which would have allowed employers not to provide contraceptive coverage to their employees. And speaking of contraception, both President Obama and Romney tonight will attend the New York Archdiocese’s Al Smith dinner. Indeed, a few months back, some Catholic pro-life activists tried to get the New York Archdiocese to UN-invite the president because of the contraception health- insurance decision.

After Tuesday’s fiery presidential debate, the heated arguments between GOP candidate Mitt Romney and President Barack Obama showed no signs of cooling on the stump as they tried to cast each other as economic threats to voters in Ohio, Iowa and Virginia. NBC’s Peter Alexander reports.
Advertise | AdChoices

*** Obama hits Romney on coal: One of the under-reported issues that came up at the second debate: coal and the surprisingly aggressive pushback on the issue from the president. And the president didn’t stop at the debate; he hit Romney AGAIN on the issue while campaigning in Ohio yesterday. NBC’s Ali Weinberg reports that Obama noted Romney’s praise of coal in Tuesday’s debate. But the president pointed out that as governor of Massachusetts, Romney appeared in front of a coal factory to criticize its high level of toxic pollution, saying, “That plant kills people.” And Obama added, “Does anybody ever actually look at that guy and think, ‘Man, he’s really into coal’”? Obama asked the audience as he chuckled.

*** Romney doesn’t mention Libya: This also caught our eye yesterday: As NBC’s Garrett Haake observes, Romney didn’t mention Libya -- or the exchange on the topic from Tuesday’s debate -- during two campaign stops in Virginia yesterday. Instead, Romney focused on the economy and what he said was Obama’s failure to lay out a vision for a second term. "I think it’s interesting that the president still doesn’t have an agenda for a second term. Don’t you think that it’s time for him to finally put together a vision of what he’d do in the next four years if he were elected?" Romney said in Chesapeake, VA yesterday. By the way, it’s worth echoing what Mike Allen wrote this morning in Politico: This is the SECOND time Romney has given Obama a political “get out of jail” free card on Libya. It only raises the stakes for Romney for the third debate, focused solely on foreign policies. He has to be very careful not to walk into any more rhetorical traps which are much easier to fall into on an issue that isn’t second nature to the challenger.

*** Obama and the fiscal cliff: The Washington Post reports that Obama “is prepared to veto legislation to block year-end tax hikes and spending cuts, collectively known as the ‘fiscal cliff,’ unless Republicans bow to his demand to raise tax rates for the wealthy, administration officials said.” The article goes on to say, “If he wins reelection, Obama may finally be able to dictate the terms of a bipartisan debt-reduction deal. And if he loses to Republican Mitt Romney, Obama could make sure that tax rates rise before he hands over the keys to the White House on Inauguration Day in late January.” But this isn’t a surprise – this has been the Obama plan all along. It would have been bigger news if the White House was signaling that Obama WASN’T WILLING to use a veto here.

*** New NBC/WSJ/Marist polls! Tonight, beginning at 6:30 pm ET, we’ll unveil results from new NBC/WSJ/Marist polls of the Midwestern swing states of Iowa and Wisconsin. The polls were conducted one day BEFORE Tuesday’s debate and one day AFTER it.

*** Ad spending crosses $800 million: As we reported yesterday, spending on radio and TV ads has now passed the $800 million mark and is on pace to reach or come close to $1 billion. The presidential campaigns and outside groups have now spent a combined $810 million. That means in just a month, $200 million in ads have been booked (from the time we reported it crossed $600 million). President Obama’s campaign is one ad buy away from spending $300 million by itself, far outpacing any other single spender at $299 million. The Romney campaign is second at $164 million. But with all outside groups combined, Team Romney is outspending Team Obama, $457 million to $353 million. This week alone, more than $58 million is being spent. Obama leads the pack with $20 million spent, but Romney is close at $16.5 million (of course, he is getting less bang for the buck because of when his campaign books ads). With outside groups factored in, Team Romney’s outspending Team Obama this week, $34 million to $24 million.

click on link for the rest of article
All politics aside ladies, IMO our vote for this election comes down to Birth control/ Abortion....

For those of you women that are to the right or undecided, Why would you vote for a candidate that wants to take our choice away,  Opposes contraception, wants to make abortion illegal, repeal a healthcare plan that will cover  our mothers, grandmothers, great great grand mothers, daughters, their daughters etc.?

Based on these issues alone, you should vote for the President! Yes I am  Barack Obama supporter and this is going to sound bias to those of you on the right BUT like I said earlier, ALL politics aside, election is VERY detrimental to us as women if Romney is elected.
Hello! Where are the women?
Because they do not believe he will or he can. From everyone I have talked to in person, they simply don't believe its possible or probable that this will happen.
Yea and no one ever believed there would be a black President either and look what happened.....LOL relax people, I'm trying to be funny...But in all seriousness Women should be really worried because you never know!
See the problem is this. Unless you have been doing what I have and watching politics and researching and learning what happened in the midterms in 2010 and correlate that with the same states that are making those very laws. This will all be done on a state level making these things unavailable. The key is in the red states, but if you have not been tracking this stuff, it doesn't make any sense and that is precisely why its being done this way, imo

Most of this stuff doesn't hit me cause Im older, kids are raised, but it does affect the younger generations. The ones that are busy raising their families, working and too busy to know or care what is going on with politics. One state at a time.
This one just gets my passions going cause I remember what we went thru to get where we are today. Remember I am old!
I just thought I'd bring this back up to the top.:)
Mitts view on women:

*Criminalize Abortions
*Repeal Affordable Health Care Act and replace with a system where people go to the ER and get a huge a$$ bill later.
*Voucherize Medicare
*No Federal Funding for planned Parenthood
*Backs the Blunt amendment and Personhood Bill
*Doesn't believe in equal pay for women but he'll let you go home early to cook dinner for your family..
*Inevitably raise taxes on Us hardworking tax paying Americans because his economic plan cannot cut taxes with out raisin it on u and getting rid of deductions like, Mortgage interest, pell grant, cut education, earned income credit....

I mean Really?!
*raising..lol
I guess this doesn't matter to the majority of women on this forum..SMH!

I will only speak for myself...but, haven't we already discussed these issues, a LOT?  We've made it very clear where we stand, and why we stand there.  We've explained that this just isn't the "hot button" for everyone like it is for you.  I'm a woman, and I can tell you that this is NOT the most pressing issue in this election, for me.  I know, that's horrifying for you to imagine...but it is what it is.

"All politics aside ladies, IMO our vote for this election comes down to Birth control/ Abortion.... "

You need to correct the above statement to say "MY VOTE"...you're trying to lump us all in with you when we have already discussed this, ad nauseum.  It's not fair to lump all women together.  As a woman, there are other issues I'm way more interested in.

"I guess this doesn't matter to the majority of women on this forum..SMH! ."

REALLY???  Wow.

That's just argumentative.  You're trying to get us to bite on the same issue we've already gone round and round with.  Personally, I don't feel the abortion discussion can go anywhere good.  

We're either judged because we weigh other issues more heavily...or we're asked, "how could you???"  WHY would we continue to put ourselves in the middle of an impossible argument?   I actually have no interest in doing so.

I respect your views, mine are slightly different.  It would be nice if OUR views were respected as well.  It really IS as simple as that.  You can't assume what's in every woman's mind in this country...and you can't make YOUR fight their fight, you just can't.  
I'm NOT judging ANYONE'S VOTE! I respect EVERYONE'S views even if they are different than mine. I'm just curious with all of the above listed, what reason would a woman have to vote for Romney. It's not just an abortion issue..And I beg your pardon, I'm not trying to start a fight.

"You need to correct the above statement to say "MY VOTE"...you're trying to lump us all in with you when we have already discussed this, ad nauseum.  It's not fair to lump all women together.  As a woman, there are other issues I'm way more interested in"

YOU need to chill out a little bit cus this is NOT the tone I want to set for this thread.....What other issues are more important than one of health? I'm really just curious..

And the reason why I said I guess this doesn't matter is because only teko and I responded to this post and I saw other women answering other post..

NG, your tone sound awfully argumentative..You automatically think I'm attacking and I'm NOT....Relax, I just want to know if any of these issues have an impact on how the women on this forum will vote! If it doesn't impact your decision, then fine! Nothing wrong with that! If you don't like my post, don't respond!
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.