Obama warns divided Congress that he will act alone

(Reuters) - President Barack Obama vowed on Tuesday to bypass a divided Congress and take action on his own to bolster America's middle class in a State of the Union address that he used to try to breathe new life into his second term after a troubled year.

Standing in the House of Representatives chamber before lawmakers, Supreme Court justices and VIP guests, Obama declared his independence from Congress by unveiling a series of executive orders and decisions - moves likely to inflame already tense relations between the Democratic president and Republicans.

While his rhetoric was high flying, Obama's actions were relatively modest, collectively amounting to an outpouring of frustration at the pace of legislative action with Republicans in control of the House of Representatives and able to slow the president's agenda.

"I'm eager to work with all of you," Obama told the lawmakers gathered for the annual speech. "But America does not stand still - and neither will I. So wherever and whenever I can take steps without legislation to expand opportunity for more American families, that's what I'm going to do."

Obama's orders included a wage hike for federal contract workers, creation of a "starter savings account" to help millions of people save for retirement, and plans to establish new fuel efficiency standards for trucks.

He said he was driven to act by the widening gap between rich and poor and the fact that while the stock market has soared, average wages have barely budged.

"Inequality has deepened," Obama said. "Upward mobility has stalled. The cold, hard fact is that even in the midst of recovery, too many Americans are working more than ever just to get by, let alone get ahead. And too many still aren't working at all."

SOURCE: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/29/us-usa-obama-speech-idUSBREA0R07T20140129
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
So instead of putting forth better ideas that are worth a crap that the Republican Congress might actually get behind, he's just going to "go it alone" and cram his horrible ideas down the throats of the American people without Congressional approval...

Does this guy HAVE any boundaries?

Hillary needs to hurry up and get into office. She'll win, of that I have no doubt (in 2016), and SURELY she'll do a better job than this moron.
Helpful - 0
"Obama's orders included a wage hike for federal contract workers"

I’m at a loss here. I thought all Federal Contracts/Funded Jobs fell under Prevailing Wage.
Granted, all of my experience with Government Contracts and Government Funded Programs has been Construction related. Maybe it’s different outside of Construction but every Federal Contract/Funded job I’ve been on was Prevailing Wage Jobs. A Prevailing Wage requires either Union Workers or they were under The Davis-Bacon Act. Under The Davis-Bacon Act employee’s take home pay was higher than the Union Workers. I have never seen anyone paid as little as $10.10 per hour.
Helpful - 0
I didn't know living under a dictator could be so much fun.
Helpful - 0
Obama to raise minimum wage for federal contractors

"...The action will cover all workers employed under future government contracts, ensuring that none is paid less than $10.10 an hour. In a fact sheet announcing the action, the White House highlighted several occupations that will be helped by the move, including kitchen and laundry workers on military bases, as well as janitors at federal buildings and construction workers at government building sites...."

"...Two national polls conducted in the past two weeks both indicate widespread support for raising the minimum wage to $10.10 an hour. Seventy-two percent of those questioned in a CBS News survey and 73% of those questioned in a Pew Research Center poll said they favor the move. Both surveys indicated a partisan divide, with around nine in ten Democrats and seven in ten independents in support of raising the minimum wage to $10.10 an hour, and Republicans divided."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/01/28/obama-to-raise-minimum-wage-for-federal-contractors/?hpt=po_c2
Helpful - 0
Apparently this is more complicated than I know or he may have misspoken when he said “and construction workers at government building sites....” I have worked on many jobs that were either Federal Contracts or Funded. We had the option to use Union Trades or Non- Union. If we used Non-Union, they fell under the Davis-Bacon Act, which required us to match Union scale plus cost of Benefits. I used Union because it was fewer headaches for the same cost. Granted, I don’t have time to do a lot of research on the subject but from what little I have done since reading your post, I am even more confused.
Maybe I’m just a Dinosaur, It has been about 15 years since I worked my last Federal job so the rules have probably changed.
Helpful - 0
Raising the minimum wage for FEDERAL employees... yay! More taxes!!!
Helpful - 0
Don't worry el, you'll be on food stamps by then. And I will support your right to receive those food stamps too.
Helpful - 0
Raise pay for military
Helpful - 0
I'm in for that...
Helpful - 0
Obama has used the power of the pen less than anyone in the last 125 years. But HE is a dictator is he? He has powers of the office given the president position, by CoNGRESS! It does not make hiim a dictator for using those powers. And as far as working with a bunch of obstructionists who have said over and over that they will make sure he does not suceed at anything> I say do it to it Obama! Lets do something!
Helpful - 0
LOL...Nothing has changed...Silly me, why would it?!
Helpful - 0
Honesty is is left at the door on this forum.
Helpful - 0
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.

You are reading content posted in the Current Events . . . Group

Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?