Roadside bomb explodes in Northern Ireland

CNN) -- Police in Northern Ireland said Saturday that they suspect a roadside bomb that exploded in a border county was a lure, designed to draw them into the area.

District Commander Chief Alaqsdair Robinson said in a statement that the explosion on a road leading to the village of Newtownhamilton caused significant damage to both the road and a nearby bridge.

There were no reports of injuries, but the surrounding area was closed and police were asking people to stay away.

Robinson said he believes that police officers were the target, and that the bomb was placed in the area in an attempt to injure or kill them.

Northern Ireland police said the explosion occurred before 5:30 p.m. (12:30 p.m. ET) in County Armagh, near Newtownhamilton. The town saw some violence in the struggle between Catholics and Protestants during the years of conflict known as "The Troubles." And last April, three people were injured in an explosion outside a police station there.

Meanwhile, in the Republic of Ireland's County Louth (which borders County Armagh), shots were fired at officers, according to Northern Ireland Policing Board member Basil McCrey.

McCrey also told CNN that police in County Louth stopped a car on suspicion of transporting explosives across the border from the Republic of Ireland into Northern Ireland. Five people were detained.

McCrey said another car successfully made it over the border. He believes the incidents are related.

The five people detained by police are still being held for questioning in the Republic of Ireland. They can be held up to 72 hours without charges.

The incidents come ahead of "Orangeman's Day" on Monday. The holiday -- also called "The Twelfth" -- is celebrated by Protestants in Northern Ireland to commemorate the Battle of Boyne in 1690. Because of the sectarian nature of the holiday, celebrations have sometimes been marred by violence in the past.

Journalist Peter Taggart contributed to this story.

Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Sad.  Such a beautiful country...it would be wonderful if the violence there could end for good.
Helpful - 0
What most people forget are that the protestants are largely descended from English colonist that stole Irish land often were people who displaced Irish sent as indentured slaves to America and Australia.
Helpful - 0
I just watched Hunger based on Bobby Sands story of starving himself to death in prison.  Horrible how they were treated in jail.  Took him 66 days to die....so sad.

I can't help but wish there was a way for us all to forgive and work out the differences instead of continuing to inflict so much pain in so many ways.
Helpful - 0
Watching some of the political posts and how one whole gender is treated in Americas courts I would say we are actually moving to a situation where men and the very poor might be moving towards an Ireland situation- unfortunately.
Helpful - 0
That is sad.  In the insect world the male isn't as important.  I felt sorry for the male bees who literally work themselves to death & die in the cold in the fall.  MJIthewriter was good at telling which bees were the males from the females & would snatch them out of the air & show me how they faked having a stinger by curling their abdomen.  I would never kill them because their lives are so short.  I am glad I learned that from her as it gave me a whole new perspective.

Helpful - 0
Not to mention, males beyond helping create babies are not as important in some species.  So...some have it worse.  

Here is a species that the females don't need males anymore:

'Stick men' may be rendered obsolete in insect world

(PhysOrg.com) -- Male stick insects are becoming increasingly redundant, with new research showing some New Zealand female stick insects can reproduce as efficiently on their own as with a male mate.

http://www.physorg.com/news188674179.html

Helpful - 0
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.

You are reading content posted in the Current Events . . . Group

Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?