Current Events . . . Community
42 Members

Trans=mental disorder

People label people with anxiety or depression as having a mental disorder, why is not the same for someone who is transgendered? Here is an article on what is being called "transabled" which is nothing short of a mental disorder. Maybe a closer look should be done with transgendered to see if this is more a mental disorder than anything else.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/becoming-disabled-by-choice-not-chance-transabled-people-feel-like-impostors-in-their-fully-working-bodies

OTTAWA — When he cut off his right arm with a “very sharp power tool,” a man who now calls himself One Hand Jason let everyone believe it was an accident.

But he had for months tried different means of cutting and crushing the limb that never quite felt like his own, training himself on first aid so he wouldn’t bleed to death, even practicing on animal parts sourced from a butcher.

“My goal was to get the job done with no hope of reconstruction or re-attachment, and I wanted some method that I could actually bring myself to do,” he told the body modification website ModBlog.

The dark side of ‘rights inflation': Why activists should ‘reject the impulse to frame all grievances as human rights’
East German sex spies, Tunagate and crack: Everything you need to know about Canada’s scandalous history
The new religion: How the emphasis on ‘clean eating’ has created a moral hierarchy for food
His goal was to become disabled.

People like Jason have been classified as ‘‘transabled’’ — feeling like imposters in their bodies, their arms and legs in full working order.
Hm.  Vance.  I don't agree with this.  This to me is like parents who took their kids to therapists to help them not be gay anymore.  Being Gay and transgendered is not a mental health disorder.  We really need to come together and support people as they bravely accept who they are, make peace with it finally and live an authentic life.  
Amen !
I think this is a great topic for discussion.  Thanks for putting it out there.

Personally, I think something like Bruce Jenner and "One Armed Jason" are incomparable.  I've never heard of anyone wanting to lop off a limb because it "never felt like his own".  I've heard a lot of stories about people who've felt like they are living in someone else's body through.

I was adopted.  The woman who adopted me was the most loving, most caring, most giving mom that I know of.  But for the life of me, well before I knew I was adopted, I knew something was amiss.  I never felt complete.  I've had a lot of people (none of which were adopted, by the way) tell me, "What difference does it make?"  

It doesn't make a difference to them.  They have no idea how I feel.  Does that give them the right to discredit how I feel?  Is there no validity to how I feel?  I wouldn't expect you or someone who is not in the same shoes to know or try to understand how I feel.  You can't.

I do know that there are hundreds of thousands of people like me who just feel as if something is missing.  We don't know our birth parents.  We don't know a thing about our family history and I think it is a giant disservice to say "but you were adopted and you have THIS family now".  It's true, I do have THIS family now and I wouldn't trade them for anything.  But that doesn't mean that I don't have a right to feel how I feel.  

Me being adopted probably isn't real comparable to Bruce Jenner or "One Armed Jason", but its the closest thing I've got to compare either of them too.  Do I have a mental disorder because I want to know more about who I am?  Is it logical to feel as if something is amiss in my situation?  A lot of people say no because I ended up having all I really needed... at least in their opinion.  

We don't know if this might be a mental disorder because we just assume that this is something that is normal and natural. What if this is a mental disorder are we not hurting these people? I think it is a question worth asking and maybe need to be studied some.
I remember growing up as a kid my grandmother was very afraid of thunderstorms and would hide in a hallway when one happened and I was always told that when she got scared it was a "nervous stomach". Well as I got older I have realized that it was anxiety but her growing up there was no mental health service and no real study of it.

I am not saying if someone is transgendered then they have a mental disorder but I think we have become too PC to even explore the possibility that it might be.

Brice I see what you are saying that something is amiss like what trans people say and does that mean you might have a mental disorder about it, well of course not because it really does not affect your life and you are not having a drastic change.
The only comparison between Jenner and Lefty would be the drastic change in lifestyle. Have to do something so crazy that it well looks crazy.
I know there have been some people going through a similar battle as Bruce Jenner who ended up killing themselves.  The battle was too much, depression set in and they felt like there was no where else to go.  I think that's tragic, but with depression, we can't force help upon those folks.  They have to want help, just like an addict has to want help.  They have to commit to their getting better and whatever program they are put on.  So maybe there is some mental illness out there regarding the situation.  I'm certainly not the guy to answer that question.

As well, I know there are people who've gone as far as Bruce Jenner has and it has opened their lives up.  For the first time ever, they feel free.  

As far as I am concerned, to each his own.  I've got no business in his business and I don't want him toying around in mine, unless he wants to fight with me rather than against me.

I do understand what you are talking about with the PC issue.  It seems as if everything is too delicate these days to actually sit down and discuss.  A couple of my adult nieces just had a knock down, drag out cat fight over education.  both were completely offended that the other had an opinion.
Without civilized discussion how can we get anywhere in this world. People are/have gotten too sensitive. If you disagree with something then you are labeled a ______phobic. Was this country not founded on debate, discussion and questoning things?

I am sure if I posted this idea of looking deeper into the trans issue as a possible mental disorder I would be attacked. Because my thought does not fit in with the agenda of the day.

I'm not sure it is being 'too PC' to accept someone wanting to change genders.  People really are entitled to live an authentic life without judgment.  And it is not politically correct to accept people as they are.  If you've ever known someone who has had a life long struggle to feel okay about themselves, you would know what I mean.  

For the sake of your argument though . . .

People who are transgendered are seeking the ability to feel 'normal' within themselves.  Therefore, under your theory, changing sex would actually be their drug for a mental disorder.  It is what HEALS them.  

I personally feel that we really need to offer more support to people in this situation so that they can be comfortable doing what they need to do in life.
No one here attacked you for your thoughts by the way Vance.  You are entitled to your opinion as we all are.  
Wrote that sentence wrong, should have read "posted elsewhere".

But my point of the whole thought is how do we know that wanting to change genders is not a mental disorder? I don;t think God screwed up and said I want to challenge this person by making him a man but he will always feel as if he is a woman.

I doubt that it is a mental disorder but without the study of it, how do we know?

People like the guy above feels like he should not have that arm...well is that not a mental disorder? I know as brice said can't compare the 2 but who knows what you find if you dig deeper.
Well, not everyone believes in the same God as you Vance.  That's really important to remember.  Now, I do believe in God but may interpret things different than you do.  But again, to go with your line of reasoning, if you believe God creates every situation, then much of what God does is to teach others lessons.  Perhaps we are to learn a lesson from those transgendered individuals of acceptance, non judgment, etc.  Compassion.  For every difficult situation in my life, I don't think God's grand plan was for me to suffer but rather for me to learn wisdom of some sort.  

In terms of mental health disorders, if they look at the brains of those who suffer various disorders, there are abnormalities Vance that can be seen.  There are symptoms and diagnostic criteria and treatment plans.  I think you would be hard pressed to find a psychiatrist or neurologist that would approach transgendered individuals from a illness point of view. They may treat the depression and anxiety that someone who has never felt right in their body may feel for sure.  Well, I take that back.  

I mean, really, we could call anything that is different a mental disorder.  :>)  But the cure for these people is to change sexes if it is.  
Respectfully I'll say that you have to take God out of the equation.  This just isn't a religious issue for the people facing this situation.

No one would touch doing a study to see if there was anything abnormal with the brain because they would be told they are not tolorant, anti-gay...etc.. So we don't know if there is any kid of issue. That was the point I was trying to make. All we know is we have people saying they don't feel right and want to be a different gender. Why can't we ask questions about it and not get blow back from the agenda that we have to be tolorant? That we have to accept it? Someone at my church has decided to be a woman (his DNA says he is a man), he was in a bible study with me. Do I care that he is a woman or a man or whatever, No.

Is the decline of belief in God a direct correlation to a lot of immoral behaivor we see today?
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.