Current Events . . . Community
42 Members

Weed aficionados celebrate '420' with music, marijuana discounts

Happy 4/20 day~ from the L.A.Times:

April 20, 2012 |  9:26 am

Some people across Southern California will celebrate the underground holiday known as "420," aimed at celebrating the virtues of marijuana ingestion in all its forms
People across Southern California will celebrate what they consider an important holiday Friday by getting comfortable on a couch or finding a nice forest before entering a state of deep relaxation.

That might explain why the underground holiday known as "420," aimed at celebrating the virtues of marijuana ingestion in all its forms, is not attracting any special attention from Los Angeles law enforcement: Most "Weed Day" celebrants plan to be very, very mellow.

Authorities from the Los Angeles Police Department and the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said they aren't planning any special measures to seek out those getting high. Spokespeople for the departments said they were personally aware of the significance of April 20.

"We're not doing anything special," LAPD Officer Rosario Herriera said. "We always have a sufficient amount of officers out on a daily basis."

The origins of celebrating marijuana on April 20 are hazy. Observers speculate that it started with the numbers of local penal codes related to marijuana possession or to a random date selected by weed enthusiasts.

The Wall Street Journal reports that there were 17.4 million marijuana users in 2010, up from 14.4 million in 2007, all signs that the underground pot holiday may be gaining more steam.

Some Southland residents will be celebrating 420 with music and discounted cannabis.

Outside of Coachella, the music festival where many have indulged themselves without the holiday, Festival 420 is set to hit the San Bernardino County Fairgrounds on Saturday with a musical slate chock full of bands and DJs. The festival explicitly states that no illegal drug use or possession is allowed.

A 420 Hangover Festival is also scheduled to be held at the Observatory in Santa Ana, though a day after the big holiday.

And according to local cannabis websites, some retailers are offering discounted product on Friday. Kushmart in Hollywood, for example, is advertising a "Huge 420 sale," with 50% discounts and more.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/04/420-marijuana-southern-california.html
4/21 should be "Random Drug Test Day".
Sigh, it's far past the time that cannabis was removed from the list of illegal drugs.
Tylenol is more dangerous than pot.
OH, agreed... I used in my younger years and found alcohol to be far more dangerous.  But, the fact remains that it is still illegal.
I don't use tylenol daily to get high.  That's the difference.  And it is only dangerous when taken incorrectly.  

Pots a drug, period.  Alcohol used to get high is also then being used as a drug.  Stupid to do that as well.  Some have a glass of wine as it pairs nicely with their red sauce and others might have a beer as it goes great wtih a hot dog.  But, they don't get high.  

While I have no problem with medical mj doled out like medication at the pharmacy only--------  I'd never support legalization across the board.  

I hope that doesn't bother you OH, it's like many issues in this world, where different opinions are okay.  

Had a conversation with my niece and nephew (one in college and one in highschool)----  both say for their out of contrl partying friends, mj was what they started with.  Sad.  

I have no problem with disagreement.
In fact the idea of everyone agreeing about everything sounds  horrible to me.

Many herbs have different uses. Basil in large ( extremely large) quantities can cause severe stomach cramping. Thankfully it's legal or we wouldn't have pesto!

I have no problem with people using things to make them feel better. I don't care if you drink a glass of wine because of the taste or because you like the feel. It's not my business.( Driving impaired is another story.)

If you can grow a plant in your backyard that will relive your nausea, help you sleep, ease your muscle pain, and help you relax when you are stressed, why should any law say you can't grow and use it ?
It is a weed, easily grown and could be almost free for anyone.

I've got no problems with folks using mj as long as they are an adult, making an adult decision to use.  That includes knowledge of its benefits, side affects, and all potential draw backs.  

As with alcohol, I think some can use and use responsibly.  Others seem to fall into the "abuser" category, but you'll have that with all drugs...

One thing I have found extremely entertaining is those folks who chronically use and say that there is absolutely no harm and boast of its medicinal purposes.  I do believe in the medicinal value, but any time you inhale smoke into your lungs.... you are doing some damage, therefore taking away the "no harm" defense.  Combine that with short term memory loss....  

To each his own, and if your use does not interfere with my daily operations, smoke up.
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.