Shoppers kick off holiday season with bang

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/online-shopping-black-friday-tops-1-billion-1C7227559

In a positive sign for the U.S. economy, shoppers took advantage of deep discounts both online and in stores over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. Black Friday online sales topped $1 billion for the first time, according to comScore, which measures online behavior.

Amazon.com was the most-visited retail website on Black Friday. Wal-Mart's website was second, followed by sites run by Best Buy, Target and Apple, comScore noted. E-commerce accounts for less than 10 percent of consumer spending in the United States. However, it is growing much faster than bricks-and-mortar retail as shoppers are lured by low prices, convenience, faster shipping and wide selection.

More brick-and-mortar stores were open on Thanksgiving this year, with retailers such as Target, Sears and Toys R Us joining in, while others including Wal-Mart and Gap either extended their operating hours or had more stores doing business. Traditionally, stores had waited until Black Friday, the day after the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday, to make their big push. U.S. retailers' sales over the four-day holiday weekend increased an estimated 12.8 percent, according to a survey from the National Retail Federation.

Click on link for the rest!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
lol...
Helpful - 0
I heard thus far, more people shopping now than this time last year and so is the amount they are spending and that consumer confidence is high? Head scratcher? I thought we were crashing!
Helpful - 0
Now see... I heard something to the contrary or maybe I completely misunderstood what I heard.  (It was on the radio so I can't recite the source.)  What I heard was that the amount of shoppers was up, but the amount of money spent was down.  (Perhaps this was a local story. I don't know.)  And although this looks good for the economy, I also heard that consumer confidence is still low.  

This is a head scratcher for me....
Helpful - 0
Somebody has got money! During these sad economic times, don't they?
Helpful - 0
Good for the economy...I LOVE the Holiday season:)...We haven't started shopping yet but we did start decorating. We'll head out this weekend to Shop. I Will be purchasing some things tomorrow online to take advantage of cyber Monday....
Helpful - 0
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.

You are reading content posted in the Current Events . . . Group

Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.