Transgender teen wins prom queen.

10.59 pm, Monday June 06 2011  
Transgender teen wins prom queen09:30 AEST Mon Jun 6 201113 hours 30 minutes ago

Share
By ninemsn staffVIEWS: 0| FLOCKS: 0| 0 comments so far
Andii Viveros. (ABC News)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A transgender teen was vilified for nominating herself for prom queen yet managed to ignore hateful classmates and win the crown.

Florida-born Andii Viveros, 17, was born Andrew Viveros but started living as a girl two years ago.

She wears dresses and a full face of makeup to school and admits she was shocked when her name was called out at the McFatter Technical High School prom, ABC News reports.

"I don't even remember what happened at that moment," she said.

"I knew people were voting for me, people care enough to vote for me."

When she nominated herself for prom queen, she received a number of vicious messages online and a barrage of hurtful phone calls.

Andii reported the bullying to the school principal, who tracked down every person who had harassed her and disciplined them, telling Andii not to back down.

Andii has since received wide support, with people congratulating her from around the globe on her crown.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I will keep an eye out. Im an avid viewer of Anderson. He be my buddy! lol. Did anyone ever hear of a fire tornado? Whoa! I gotta turn that television off. I never heard of such a thing!
Helpful - 0
Well looks like the Weiner scandal trumped the episode I wanted to see.  I was sure it was on tonight, but now they are saying tomorrow night.  Sorry for those that looked for it. Maybe I messed up the nights, but could have sworn it was supposed to be tonight.
Helpful - 0
Yep, I saw his press conference.  You just have to wonder what in the heck he was thinking.  I mean seriously.  Not to bright of him and rather slimey.  He said his wife knew about these on line "exchanges" before he was married.  I sort of doubt it, but I suppose anything is possible.  The Dems have called an ethics investigation.  I guess we shall see.  Either way, not to smart.
Helpful - 0
Thanks adgal for that info and I will make a point to watch!!! Right now Im caught up with Weiners weiner. Geesh! married about a year and lost not only his job but probably his wife too. I sure hope it was worth it! Have you heard the story? Like anyone is surprised!
Helpful - 0
why was the word dont bleeped out? It looks like I swore, which I did not. (ugh)
Helpful - 0
That is correct, I **** agree, but I NEVER am ok with people being mean to others.
I dont have a lot of confidence in tv though. lol
Helpful - 0
Sorry, gave the wrong time.  It's 10pm est.  

From the trailers I don't get the impression it's about blame at all.  It's from the entire families perspective and showing the potential long term negative repercussions of trying to "cure" them.

I think most experts are on the same page on this.  It can be dangerous to attempt to change what is nature.  Anyway, I am looking forward to watching it.  

There is a big difference between not approving and being hateful.  I understand many don't approve based on their religious beliefs.  That is part of who you are and it's not my place to argue that.  But to take that disapproval to hate is another thing altogether.  You can disapprove and still be kind or non judgemental.  No need for hateful messages, etc.

bbx, I believe if I understand correctly from previous posts that you don't feel this is right. But somehow I don't see you sending hateful messages or being cruel.  There is a world of difference in my opinion.
Helpful - 0
You can be sure the families they show trying to cure their kids will be extreme and mean people, that way everyone will assume anyone not approving of this is hateful. Gotta love tv.
Helpful - 0
One day all genders will be accepted,I hope.
Helpful - 0
I do believe that some people were born with the wrong body.  I truly do.  I too know one person who has undergone gender change and it is amazing how much happier they are.  She was born a boy but just never felt right in her body.  And honestly, whether it be choice or born that way I just don't understand why it upsets some so much. Same thing with homosexuality..I will never understand why some have such a problem with it.  I know many claim the Bible say's its wrong..fair enough.  So if that is your belief, then just don't do it, or fight it or whatever.  But I say leave others alone.  They aren't bothering you. (not talking to you here Teko, talking in generalities..I don't want this to come across like I'm directing it your way).  What is so very sad is many of these kids..both gay and transgender, wind up committing suicide because of the way they are treated by family and society.  That is so incredibly sad.  Can you imagine your own family telling you you are evil or going to hell or whatever because of who you are?

There is a segment on this issue on Anderson Cooper tonight.  It is dealing with the issue of families who try to "cure" their kids of what they consider to be an affliction.  I believe it's called Sissy Boys or something similar.  8pm est.  
Helpful - 0
The problem I have with the say some are treated is not so much from a biblical view of good and evil that some have with it out of sheer ignorance. My view and acceptance comes from knowing a personal situation or two where the children of people I have known. I used to be of the it is of the devil and all that until I met these families. In the one family a baby girl was born with both private parts. After all the testing was done it was determined that this baby was missing an x chromosome, She/He had both sex organs and that included testacles up inside the body and a uterus as well. The parents had to choose which sex they wanted the child to be and back then it was recommended to go with a girl because it was easier surgically to do. So they did make her a girl. Cept the brain said no, Im a guy! So this person who was raised as a girl yet wants to be a boy but cant is a very sad sad situation. The reason surgery was done was because of the high risk of cancer. The only way she got breasts was thru hormones. Sheis 17 now and an emotional mess. The other is my nephew. I was around when he was born. He had normal parents and a brother and a sister, both normal... In his case he was a beautiful wide eyes, brown eyed baby pretty enuff to be a girl. In fact he looked more like a girl than a boy. Even as a little boy of 6-7 his body movements, mannerisms etc were feminine. We used to sit and talk about how odd he acted. After he grew up and moved away, he confided in his family he was gay. Pretty much the whole family turned on him calling him names nd it was sooo sad. Im sure he wishes he were straight and I still love him regardless. I dont know if god made them that way or if sin was handed down thru the generations, but my god is a god of love and looks upon the heart. I cannot fathom that my god would want me to condemn either of these for something that they had no part in. Just my opinion. I do not agree with people that dabble or play with such things but if there born that way?
Helpful - 0
It makes me happy to see acceptance of her.  Such a big step forward.  Our kids are who they are and it's so good to see her being accepted as is.  I also say good for her.  To bad it had to be preceded by those nasty calls and messages...still some ignorance out there I guess.  Sounds like she handled it properly though.
Helpful - 0
Good for her! Was she born this way? Or was it thru choice I wonder that she chose to come out a girl...
Helpful - 0
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.

You are reading content posted in the Current Events . . . Group

Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.