MedHelp.org will cease operations on May 31, 2024. It has been our pleasure to join you on your health journey for the past 30 years. For more info, click here.

Woman sues airline over 'extreme turbulence'

http://overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/10/11/8274491-woman-sues-airline-over-extreme-turbulence

A Texas woman is suing Continental Airlines and three other carriers over mental trauma she said she experienced during turbulence on a flight.

Colleen O'Neal of Lubbock, Texas, was flying from College Station to Houston on Oct. 29, 2009, when the flight hit extreme turbulence just minutes after takeoff, according to the lawsuit filed Tuesday in Harris County district court. Weather reports at the time of departure showed a threat of "tornados, wind shear, and dangerously strong winds with rotating and intense thunderstorms."

What was supposed to be a 20-minute flight turned into more than two hours as the aircraft repeatedly rose and fell "as if it had lost power and was falling out of the sky," according to the lawsuit.

At one point, the pilots attempted to make an emergency landing in Victoria, Texas, but it was aborted.

In the lawsuit, O'Neal claims she experienced "extreme fear during this flight and believed that she was going to die." She has since been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder and suffers from nightmares, flashbacks and an intense fear of flying.

She claims that the airline failed to obtain necessary weather information and take action to ensure the safety of passengers aboard the flight.

“I think they made a mistake in taking off. I don’t think we ever should have been in the air,” O'Neal told msnbc.com on Tuesday, adding that upon landing, crew members and passengers aboard the flight took a picture because they all survived.

O'Neal said she has not been able to fly since, which she believes has damaged her job prospects and future earnings potential.

In addition to Continental, the lawsuit also names Colgan Air, Pinnacle Airlines and United Continental Holdings. United and Continental announced a merger in 2010. Colgan Air, which was operating the aircraft for Continental, is owned by Pinnacle Airlines.

A spokesman for United Continental Holdings told msnbc.com that the airline had not yet had the opportunity to review the lawsuit.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
LOL. Yea, I'd like to sue them too... mental anguish and I am suffering.

People sue over anything. A guy tried to sue my dad the other month because my dad had written him up for not doing his job and he said it was harassment. really?
Helpful - 0
Someone from the airlines ought to choke her *** and give her a reason to sue.  How garbage like this ever gets into court is beyond me.  They need to make this woman stay in the friendly confines of her home, and take away anything that might hurt her.... even the small crayons.  (Choking hazard)
Helpful - 0
   I've thought about suing my grocery store. Their constant price increases have caused me considerable mental anguish. I now have a fear of parking too far away from their front door for fear there will be a price increase before I can get in the store and do my shopping. I now have been thrown out of the grocery store on several occasions for trying to negotiate my grocery bill with a checker. I've also been asked to leave by their management for sampling their products before I decide to invest in them...I think I have a good case.
Helpful - 0
money, money, money! MONEY! Did anyone force her to buy a ticket and board a plane. Dont we all know we assume certain risks when flying? Geesh!
Helpful - 0
seriously? lol. wow, we live in such a sue happy society... "it caused me mental distress, I'm suing!".

An old high school teacher of mine had a paper up on the wall about the top ten craziest lawsuits where the person suing won. examples: McDonalds lawsuit over woman who spilled hot coffee on herself and won, one where a man put his RV in cruise control and walked away from the front and the RV crashed, then sued the RV company and won, and many other crazy stories... It's all just insane.
Helpful - 0
What is this world coming to...SMH
Helpful - 0
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.

You are reading content posted in the Current Events . . . Group

Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.