DNA / Paternity Community

Please describe your experience with D&C.

Curettage showing the instrument inserted into the uterus.       The curettage procedure (D&C) involves dilating the uterine cervix so that the lining tissue (endometrium) of the uterus can be removed by scraping or suction.The D&C is a safe procedure that is done for a variety of reasons. It is minor surgery performed in a hospital or ambulatory surgery center or clinic. D&C is usually a diagnostic procedure and seldom is therapeutic.A D&C is often done as an adjunct procedure to a hysteroscopy and/or polypectomy. In addition, a D&C is often used for the following conditions:1) Irregular or excessive bleeding: Irregular bleeding includes spotting or bleeding between periods. Bleeding with long, heavy periods, or bleeding after menopause can signal a number of problems. A D&C allows removal of the uterine lining and examination of the tissue under a microscope by a pathologist. This can help establish the cause of the abnormal bleeding.The causes of irregular or abnormal bleeding include:Fibroids and polyps: These conditions are very common. Fibroid tumors are noncancerous growths appearing in and on the uterus. Some even grow out from the uterine wall on a stalk. Fibroids can cause chronic pain and heavy bleeding. Polyps, like fibroids, are noncancerous growths and are a common cause of irregular bleeding. Polyps and fibroids can have symptoms that resemble other more serious causes of bleeding.Endometrial cancer: A D&C and hysteroscopy are often performed to make certain patient's symptoms are not caused by uterine cancer or precancerous changes. It is, of course, important to detect cancer in its earliest, most curable stages.2) Therapeutic D&C: A D&C is often planned as treatment when the source of the problem is already known. One situation is an incomplete miscarriage or even full-term delivery when, for some reason, the fetal or placental tissue inside of the uterus has not been completely expelled. If the tissue is left behind, excess bleeding can result, perhaps even life-threatening bleeding.Your health care professional will avoid D&C in the following situations, except when absolutely necessary:Pelvic infection: If you have an infection involving the reproductive organs, there is a chance the surgical instruments that will enter the vagina and cervix can carry the bacteria from your vagina or cervix into your uterus. There is also an increased risk of injury to infected tissue. For these reasons, the doctor may prefer to wait until after the infection is cleared up with antibiotics before performing the D&C.Blood clotting disorders: Doctors depend on the body's natural ability to clot to stop bleeding after curettage. Women with certain blood disorders are usually not given this surgery.Serious medical problems: Heart and lung disease, for example, can make general, and sometimes local, anesthesia riskier.In fact, D&C is no longer performed as commonly as it was even a decade ago, thanks to advances in diagnosis (for example, ultrasound and hysteroscopy) and nonsurgical hormonal (for example, oral contraceptives) and antihormonal therapies.       Normal anatomy showing the cervix and uterus in preparation for dilation during the dilation procedure.
I got my D and C one month back. But I was normal after 1 hour and was discharged immediately. The doctor gave me painkiller and antibiotics for 5 days. After 5 days I am feeling lots of tiredness and pain in my whole body. I feel pain several times in my left thigh inside. I am not able to do my day to day work. I feel exhausted very soon, specifically if I have to do physical work.
I had my D and C yesterday and today I don't feel very good and have high blood pressure. I don't know if I should go to the emergency room or just wait and see if it gets any better.
I had a D and C with hysteroscopy a week ago. I had been in what I thought was menopause starting when I was 48 in 2011, and didn't have a period for almost 2 years. In December 2014, I suddenly had a very heavy period with clots and it lasted two weeks. I called my doctor, who said it wasn't unusual to not have a period for so long and then suddenly have one, especially given the high level of stress I had been under. From that time until January 2016, I had off and on periods that were irregular, then I had no bleeding until June 6, 2016, when I had a period that just would not quit. I contacted my doctor again after I had been bleeding for about five weeks with only a day or two here and there not bleeding. She sent me to a gynecologist in their practice, and the gynecologist did an endometrial biopsy as well as a pelvic ultrasound. The biopsy did not indicate cancer, but the ultrasound showed at least one polyp. The gynecologist put me on a ten-day course of Provera to help stop the bleeding after the endometrial biopsy, and the bleeding stopped by the end of the Provera. However, two days after I stopped taking it, I had extremely heavy bleeding with clots that would not stop. She gave me another round of Provera and scheduled me for a D and C with hysteroscopy two weeks later. I had the procedure done under general anesthesia one week ago, and I'm still bleeding but not heavily. She called me to let me know I had a 3 cm polyp removed and that all of the tests indicated everything was benign. I've had a lot of cramping and bleeding. I go back to see her in a week, and I hope to be able to take oral contraceptives or HRT (hormone replacement therapy) to get the bleeding under control.
I had D and C yesterday. I bled some after waking from anesthesia. Today I am staying at home. I am feeling good, no pain, maybe slight discomfort, and some spotting still. I started antibiotics and everything seems to be fine so far.
I had the D and C 6 days ago. I felt some mild cramping after the misoprostol was taken. The procedure was quick and when I woke up I had no pain, and some vaginal bleeding which is normal. I was sent home after 1 hour in recovery. The painkillers they give during the surgery last for 24 hours so no need to take anything when you get home. I used a warm wheat bag and Nurofen to ease the cramping the next few days and had a lot of rest. Just remember to listen to your body and not to push yourself physically.
I had a D and C after a miscarriage, the fetus wouldn't fully expel from my body on its own. The procedure went well and I didn't have much pain. I had light bleeding the day of the D and C and after that didn't bleed for 6 weeks. I've now been bleeding going on two weeks, not sure if this is normal or not, because typically my periods were only 3 to 4 days. I also had a Depo-Provera shot after the D and C so maybe this is a result from that shot.
I had D and C done 3 days ago. Very minimal cramps 2 days after and a lot of gas. Today I still have a lot of gas, no cramps, but have felt a bit off and tired. No bleeding the day after the procedure but bled on day 2 and today (day 3), but not a lot. It was a pretty painless procedure overall since I was under general anesthesia during it. Now I'm just waiting for my biopsy results!
I had D and C and camera exam 3 days ago. I had just been listed as in menopause when another light period occurred, and then no more. I had no symptoms. I had one done 4 years ago, when 1 polyp removed, but none this time. I am still bleeding and cramping a little, but more so. Concerned a little. Maybe should have rested today, and not worked.
It has been a month since I had my D and C and I still have a light discharge all day. I am not sure if this is normal because it's becoming very uncomfortable.
Wondering if it is normal for me to bleed heavily 3 days after having a D and C.
I had a D and C on 4/30 and started bleeding four days later. I'm going on week 4 and I'm still spotting. I wonder if this is normal.
I had a D and C and felt fine the next day with no spotting after day 2. I felt like I needed to connect with my husband and we had sex on day 2. Now it is a week later and I was feeling some sharp little pains in my lower abdomen yesterday. Today there was some brownish pinkish discharge in the bottom of the toilet and when I wiped.
I was terrified going into this based on stories I read and it wasn't a big deal. I had a hysteroscopy and D and C with no anesthesia. I had a paracervical block. That was my choice as I didn't want the risks of anesthesia. It wasn't bad at all. And I feel fine afterwards and went about my day. So glad I wasn't put under. And my fears were unfounded. They removed a polyp too.