Deep Vein Thrombosis Community
233 Members

Please describe the signs and symptoms of your blood clot.

Signs and symptoms of a blood clot depend upon the situation, the amount of bleeding, and the location of the blood clot. Many times, the clot itself may cause no symptoms until it embolizes and becomes lodged in small blood vessels at distant sites in the body. The effects of the lack of blood supply to an affected organ will determine the symptoms.In atrial fibrillation, the clots that form may not cause symptoms unless they embolize.If the clot embolizes to an artery in the brain, the symptoms will be that of stroke.If the embolus involves an artery that supplies blood to the small or large bowel (known as mesenteric ischemia), symptoms may include abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and bloody bowel movements.In a leg or arm, a blood clot in a vein (deep venous thrombosis) can act as a dam and block blood from returning to the heart. This may cause inflammation of the vein, or thrombophlebitis. Common symptoms include swelling, redness or discoloration, warmth, and pain.The major complication of a deep venous thrombosis occurs when the clot breaks off and travels to the lung, causing a pulmonary embolism. Symptoms and signs include chest pain, shortness of breath (rapid breathing and a fast pulse). This is a potentially life-threatening condition depending upon the extent of the lung tissue that loses blood supply and the effect it has on both heart and lung function.Signs and symptoms of an arterial clot depend upon which organ is losing its blood supply.If it is located in a coronary artery, there may be signs of heart attack.Cerebral artery occlusion by clot will manifest in signs of stroke.A patient with an arterial clot to an arm or leg will develop a painful, cool, white, pulseless extremity.
I got blood clots in 2010, and thought I was having a heart attack. It turned out I had clots in both my lungs. I went home and broke my hip, and ended back in the hospital again. They had to put a filter in me so no clots would get to my heart. Now 6 years later I felt really sick and ended up passing out, and called 911. Turned out to be blood clots in both my legs. They got so big, I couldn't walk, and it felt like I was walking on sponges. My feet swelled up also, and no feeling in my feet! Nobody knows why I keep getting these clots. I am getting tired of the blood test every week. My arm has been hurting me since I came home and I asked if it was a clot. I was told you can't get clots in your arm. Now I read this eMedicineHealth and there are people with clots in their arms.
I went in for a cardiac catheterization, and didn't need a stent. Two days later my leg, thigh, and foot were 4 times the size of my other leg. Ultra sound showed a massive blood clot that covered 4 veins. I had so much pain I couldn't bend my foot to walk, and it was so swollen I couldn't get into my clothes. My thigh was so swollen with a large sac on the inner side of the thigh. After a very, very long 9 weeks it is finally starting to go down. I still have a lot of pain. I am on warfarin, and doing another ultra sound in November. My doctor made the statement that she wouldn't wish this on anyone; it was very scary. Good luck to whoever is going through this.
I had reconstructive back surgery. I got out of hospital, and on way home felt like a ship was sitting on my chest. By evening I was so fatigued, I told my husband I needed to go to the hospital. After a few hours they admitted me. They wanted to take a nuclear x-ray of my chest. But I'm allergic to the dye, so they put in an IV to put the medicines in so they could do an x-ray in the morning. I ended up with a blood clot in my lungs. They said it was very serious. I was in the hospital for 6 nights and went home. The doctor told us that most people he ever knew with that large a blood clot didn't make it. I'm still here, however I did change my medicines from Xarelto to warfarin, because the Xarelto was almost USD 200 for 30 days. They are still checking me weekly to get me balanced on the warfarin. I've been out of hospital about 2 and a 1/2 months now, and am just starting to feel much better.
My breathing was becoming so labored, that going into an adjoining room was difficult. I also have fibromyalgia which causes pain everywhere in my body, but mostly my legs. My legs are always sore. I am able to stand for no more than 2 to 3 minutes at a time before I need to sit down. With the constant pain in my legs, my clot was never noticeable! By the time I got to the hospital, my situation was dire. I had 3 large blot clots in one lung and 5 large ones in the other. Both lungs were filled with small clots that went into the outside of both lungs. My left leg contained a large clot as well. Worst of all, I developed what the doctors called a 'saddle clot' which can be fatal if not treated. The 'saddle' sits between your lungs. After 5 days in the hospital, I was released. These are serious if left untreated! My fibromyalgia masked my leg symptoms and I am certain I would be dead if I'd waited any longer. I'll be on Eliquis for 3 to 6 months before they can tell me if I'm really cured.
I was told after robotic prostate surgery to expect possibly severe gas pains from trapped gas they use during surgery. What they did not tell me was how long it would last. Other comments online told of pain for three weeks. So when I had stabbing pains in my lower chest when I took a breath, at two and three weeks, I assumed it was gas. At almost four weeks I started feeling pain in my left calf that started to radiate downward over the next few days. What followed was an ultrasound of the leg to find a large deep vein thrombosis (clot), and a chest CT to find multiple clots in both lungs (pulmonary embolisms from the leg clot). The DVT had taken weeks to develop symptoms. And the pain I had felt in my chest was apparently the clots moving into the lungs, not gas. I am now on blood thinners for six months. Please beware, sharp chest pain is not normal after this type of surgery. Get it checked!
I have just found out that both my lungs have blood clots and my left side is worse than my right. But I have been suffering with clots, I have had 10 in 12 years.
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.