Aa
A
A
A
Close
Degenerative Diseases Community
1.11k Members
471354 tn?1221065794

SCI: is B12, Folate Deficiency involved in Neuropathic Burning,Allodynia,Parasthesiae

My injury details, cervical C2-C7, C1 eroding, lumbar disc bulges at L3,4 &5, fusion C2-7 with Laminectomy C5-7 are already on medhelp.
I now have fortfnightly B12 injections, even though I have been on sublingual B12 since first signs of parasthesiae in 1988  post 1st accident, with multi B + minerals, omegas, flaxseed oil etc
also trying bromelain, papaya, feverfew for the tear producing burning/searing [like being BBQ'd by a fierce tropical sun].
Electrical activity flows as a constant buzz (white noise) thru whole nerv system, plus electric 'spikes' as burning/redness/swelling increase from cervical spine over scalp into face, into legs/feet[recently upper thigh, and soles]
& arms/hands/fingers[upper+palm] - movement has to be  intended and now slow & stilted, drop things, cannot shower [like hail storm].
Parasthesiae is even in lips=>burn upper lip[swells & forms scab] with hot coffee due to sensitivity affected. I am told the brain is now affected [hence slow decision making, memory, focus - I FEARED early alzh/demem] & I find it hard to type & even think of words ~ this is strange as being a therapist for 30+ years I relied on my words as my trusty professional tools. I wrote & published poetry but that is much harder, and not a spontaneous response to what I feel/think. This is made more difficult now as saliva is often dried up with my gullet burning like acid poured down it & my ears feel like they are 'smoking', at such times my eyes feel like they are swimming in "pools of hot oil".

My Hospital Neurosurg/Neurolog & Pain Team say there is nothing more to offer - after looking at & precluding deep brain stimulation, spinal cord stimulator & other active intervention.
Now off opioids, still 300Gabapentin iiid, plus Panalgesic or Mersyndol Forte for severe occipital pain with radiation to forehead/eyes [then increased light noise sensitivity], Mobic(meloxicam).

I am told that Chronic neuropathic pain esp with SCI has permanent effects in the brain.
I try to counter this with hypnosis, meditation[breathing, imagery etc], acupuncture & brain wave entrainment.

Can you advise of various interplay of Chronic Pain/ B12, folate etc deficiencies, paraesthesiae -
please include any links to breaking Research and/or Guidelines
PLUS what your experience & your team
(Including ANY Other Relevant Clinicians who would be kind enough to contribute - free of any legal challenge)
may know  about.
This is so Very Much appreciated
~ how would we all be if there were no medhelp or spine-health.org?? {you make such a difference with this kind professionalism showing genuine care for fellow humans}
0 Responses
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.