cervical fusions

I have had 3 cervical fusions done in three years.  I still have alot of pain.  On the new mri, the disk under the last surgery is now buldging.  One doctor said that it is degenrative disk disease.  My surgeon does not tell me anything.  I have to have a esi on friday, to see if it is the hardware giving me a problem.  If it is the surgeon will go in and remove hardware.  He feels that he thinks it is c7 t1.  He also said he would not do the surgery because I have not gotten better on the other surgeries.  That's because everytime he does a surgery the next disk buldges.  The very first surgery, his surgery fell apart.  Do you think this is why the rest of the disks are doing this?  I have been to other surgeons, and no-one will touch me, they say go back to him when they look at the mri's.  Does anyone think this is in fact the hardware or a combo of both?  What should I do?  I know I just do not want to stay in this pain.  Thank you!!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am sorry you are going through this.  Have you tried other methods for the pain?

Obviously the surgeries did not work.  I was advised to have surgery on my neck (2 herniated discs, arthritis) and refused because of, frankly, so many people who told me not to do it.  I went to Physical Therapy and use ice and heat and sometimes pain pills.
I would tell the stupid surgeon that, yes, you know you're not better, but what does he suggest?  Let him know about the pain.  If he can't help, try a pain management place or another doctor.  There's also alternative treatments like accupuncture, massage, and all that.  I don't know if that works.
Helpful - 0
I did do physical therapy and have pain meds.  Nothing is helping at this point.  I also had those injections, and that doctor told me that they were not going to work.  So, I am going tommorow for shots of lanacain to see if I am allergic to hardware.  The surgeon said he does not think it is that, that it is c7.  I hope he keeps his end of the bargain and signs a release form so another doctor will take my case.  He knows I am in pain, but will not give me anything different than what I have.  I have tried heat and cold it just makes it worse.  Hopefully, tommorow it works, than it means I am allergic to hardware.  But, how do they fix the rest of the disks if I am in fact allergic to the hardware?  thank you
Helpful - 0
Why does he have to sign papers to *release* you.  This sounds crazy.  Why won't any other doctor see you?  People get second opinions all the time.  If what he's doing isn't working, why can't you go to another doctor if he's not willing to help?  What about a pain management clinic?  How about a different type of doctor?  Even a primary care?

Helpful - 0
He made a mistake on the first surgery and no-one wants to be liable.  One doctor I went to said if he signs a paper stating that he can no longer do anything surgical for me, he would help me.  The other doctors I went to do not even want to touch me.  My primary care doctor does not even like my surgeon and wants me out, but you can not make someone take you.  I really do not blame the other doctors I have seen.  I would probaly do the same thing if I was a doctor.  It was a bad mistake my surgeon made , I could have sued, I chose not to, I just want to be better.
Helpful - 0
I'm so sorry.  These damn doctors!  Maybe you should sue!  I know it's a hassle, though.  But now you are not getting help because of this.  You should speak to a lawyer, if nothing else but to get medical help.

Have you tried something different, like alternative medicine?  How about TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) like accupuncture or accupressure.  What about a naturopath?  At least just in the meantime to try to relieve the pain.
Helpful - 0
I wnt and had the esi shot.  It seemed to take some of the pain away.  That would mean I am allergic to the hardware.  Would anyone know what they would use to fix disks if you are allergic to hardware?
Helpful - 0
Your answer is  MicroSpine *******   they will remove the hardware causing the problem a completely different way then an ortho or nero surgen would take... Read their site

Its normal for the fusion to cause problem to the discs above and below the fusion and its why I wouldn't get one... If you do need another disc replacement wair for the Bryan disc to come out most like by the end of this year.  The Bryan disc needs no fusion and fits perfectly in the joint without slipping...

Plus read my profile for more info and a cure for your degenerative discs and may quickly give you relief...
Helpful - 0
Thank you!  I will look into those.
Helpful - 0
     I too am sorry you have to go through this.  I have cages at 3 levels in my low back.
     I was in an accident and herniated 2 discs in my neck.  I was lucky enough to get in to a study for artificial discs(made like a ball and socket that moves). What a major difference this is compared to having fusion/cages!  I was told that I could not get any artificial discs for my back as I already had a fusion/cages there. In the study they pay all medical bills and give you a little money that basically covers your gas. They follow you for 2 years.  
     I would deffinitely sue the doctor, that's what he pays insurance for.  You are suffering now and may suffer the rest of your life due to an accident he caused which may or may not have been his fault but it sure wasn't yours. That's what insurance is for.  Don't wait any longer.get a lawyer now or you'll be sorry later. take it from someone who knows.
     Best of luck with all of your health issues.
Helpful - 0
Look at Laser Spine Institute in Tampa.  Saved my life !!!!
Helpful - 0
I talked to the doctors at the laser institute in Tampa.  They can not help me at this point because of the hardware I have.  They are very nice.  They could not believe what this doctor is doing.  I wish I new about them first.
Helpful - 0
I feel for you and hope you are strong now.  The spine takes long to heal so get this
going hope you have spoken to a lawyer.  Make noise this is spine.Please talk about how you have to survive with the pain, You could get treatment and fully recover but you have to speak up. If you try hard now you may be able to get the best care I have titainum(sp) fusion c5 c6 I feel it takes years to adhere too. And no matter how good a surgeon some nerves get cut they are two small so you have to consider. He should have done imediate recall on this I feel... Or at least ease your mind When I got it done my medical friend said wait until they get the plastic kind its in development stage . But , in a hurry me, I have facet joint overload and 2 years later just got denervation.so
pay attention take up all all this docters time proceed well read and carefully.  It wouldn't hurt to have a lawyer in your pocket.  Again, I m sor r y.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Degenerative Diseases Community

Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.