Degenerative Diseases Community

osteoarthritis in spine

I am 33yo and have just been told I have osteoarthritis in my spine.  I have had ct scans and mri scans. Both show calcification and osteoarthritis from my neck to my lumbar area.  I frequently get numbness in my legs and hands, severe pain to the point where walking in unbearable.  I can not work around the house for more than 15min a day and employment is at the moment out of the question because my back will spasm severly at any time.  I was told that applying for a total and permanent disability to ensure I would not have to try and work.  My Dr. said that it would be hard to do this as osteoarthritis is often not seen as a disability.  She suggested Facial joint injections of steroids and pain killers but this scares me, what do you recomend.
This is complicated.  I just came home from a visit with my psychologist who wants me to complete a workbook on reducing stress and learning to relax.  He is teaching me about how the muscles and tendons tighten up when you're tense and tighten the bones together and nerves get inflamed adding to the pain of arthritis or inflamation.  It will be a long road since my family and life do stress me out.  My pain is from an accident.  I don't want injections or drugs unless I really have to.  We all have different beliefs.  My brother needs to sleep to go to work so he has to take something for sleep or stop working.  He has tried everything.  He will take benadryl for sleep and when he sleeps he feels better about everything.  Pain is horrible and you have to learn how to relax and manage it or else you'll end up getting worse and worse.  
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.