Is dementia inevitable

Three years ago I had an MRI scan for persistent headache.  No cause found but "incidental" finding was "marked frontal lobe atrophy".  I was sixty then.  Neurologist examined and assessed me and said I had absolutely no dementia symptoms and that I was functioning at a high level and better than a lot of others of my age.  Told me to go away and forget it.  Recently had another MRI for twitchy arms and legs and result said "cerebral atrophy".  Don't know if this is the same but expressed differently.  Still no signs of dementia but don't feel quite as sharp and getting rather apathetic about things.  This could be because I am very anxious though.  Is it possible to have brain atrophy with no symptoms and not to develop any either.  I'm probably clutching at straws here because if a neurologist can't give me a prognosis I expect it's a wait and see job!  
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Dear paddiwack,

It seems brain atrophy is a part of getting older and not necessarily getting Alzheimers. My last MRI showed it too.

Also, if you're dehydrayded you're brain will show shrinkage...I guess it's like a sponge.  LOL    I better get that drink.

Helpful - 0
Possible causes of frontal lobe atrophy include brain injury, brain tumors. hydrocephalus (which can cause headaches and apathy), excess alcohol intake, various forms of dementia, etc. Conditions such as multiple sclerosis or CNS lupus can also cause cerebral atrophy.  

I'm not a doctor and I'm not saying anything is wrong--but if I was told this and I was also  starting to feel not as sharp as usual and somewhat apathetic, I would pursue it further and make sure something that's treatable isn't being missed.

You're only 63. You might want to ask the doctors, "How does my MRI compare to the MRIs of other 63-year-old patients you've seen?"

I would definitely make sure you're doing things you can to help maximize brain function--Eating omega-3-rich foods, blueberries, green tea, apples, etc.; regularly doing crossword puzzles or other word games, staying as physically active as you can (as your doctors allow), staying socially connected with family and friends, etc.  

Good luck,
Yvette
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dementia Community

Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?