Dementia Community
54 Members

Short term memory loss

My Mum is a fit 91 year old awaiting MRI tests for short term memory loss.  She is on levothyroxine and I am wondering if it is a lack of estrogen that could be causing her problems.  She takes lots of supplements and no other drugs, bp controlled naturally.  Has anyone had success with estrogen?
Its almost certainly the aging process. My mom is 93 and experiencing the same.
I had modest success with my mom's vascular dementia (in her eighties, passed at 91) through vit. methyl-B12 (given as 3 crushed 1000mcg sub-lingual tablets/day, under her tongue).  It's a mild nerve restorative.  When first started I noticed she recalled things she'd been forgetting for a year or two prior -- I think the net effect aside from intitially reversing her decline by a few years, was to greatly slow her further mental decline.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.