? for Dr. Tsang

You replied a few times to me in regards to this bump I have on the roof of my mouth. I was supposed to go to the dentist today but they just called and cancelled. I can't get in now for another three weeks. I first noticed this bump on January 10th. I have been on 2000 mg amoxicillin and 1000 mg biaxin for Two weeks, just finished last Friday. The bump is still there. My husband can not see it when he uses a flashlight. It has not gotten any bigger and it is nonpalpable. Doesn't pain unless you press hard on it. It is located just to the right of the midline. I have read many posts online about people having these and some dentists say no they have to be in the center and others like yourself said they don't necessarily have to be. I am confused and very anxious about this. I remember brushing my teeth a little while back and the brush end jabbing me in the roof of my mouth, it brought tears to my eyes. If this was an infection, wouldn't all those antibiotics have cleared it up? I'm concerned about it being cancer. It's not discolored and is hard like a bone but not sharp. What could this be if an antibiotic didn't clear it up? Trauma? Tori?  I'm really scared. I'm trying so hard to recover from this h pylori and now I have this on my mind 24/7. What are your thoughts? Thank you.
That's unfortunate that they cancelled you.  

If it was a dental infection, then most likely the antibiotics would have cleared up the infection.  

Is there any way you can schedule an appointment with an oral surgeon or your own primary care physician?  They may be able to take a look at it and decide what it is.  

While I think its most likely just either a tori or possibly some scar tissue from the tooth brush accident, I can't rule out cancer cause only a biopsy would determine whether or not it is.  I wish I could give you more confidence about the situation but I can't.  
Since I posted to you, the bump has decreased to almost half the size it was. I have a an appt with my pcp next Tuesday. If it's still there I will let her know about it. Thank you.
Oh, so its gotten smaller?  Interesting.  Well the good news is that most likely it isn't cancer as cancer usually won't shrink in size without treatment.  It may be some type of residual infection or inflammation from the toothbrush and its starting to heal up.  A tori definitely won't change in size.

Sorry, can't rule anything out but that's a good sign.
Yes, I agree. Very interesting. It's not as hard and is smaller. I'm not complaining, lol. Very happy when realized it has shrunk some. Hopefully within a week it will be gone. Another mystery! Thank you so much for all your help. It has been greatly appreciated. I will continue to pray that it goes away. :)
Its a good sign when a patient is constantly in touch with the dentist. Three weeks is a long duration to be away from your dentist in such a situation.
Doc didn't seemed to alarmed about it. It hasn't gotten any more smaller. It seems to be smaller in the morning when I first get up. Doc said to keep an eye on it. :(  She said that if it was cancerous it wouldn't fluctuate in size and it would be red, white and ulcerated. I still think the day my toothbrush scraped my mouth did something. It is so hard. You can feel the " hard bone" under the skin. Could this be scar tissue possibly? I guess now I have to see my dentist. Two more weeks will drive me nuts. It seems it was swollen a little around the bump and I think that went down and that's why the bump feels smaller. :(  
Well, its good that your doc isn't too worried about it.  If I saw something I was worried about, I'd probably refer to an oral surgeon or your primary care physician.  

Again, the fact that its fluctuating in size is a good sign it isn't anything too serious in terms of cancer/tumor but it may still be an infection or injury of some sort.  
Yes, I'm hoping it's a good sign. I notice in the morning after awakening it is just slightly raised. As the day goes on it gets a little bigger.  If I drink something cold it goes down for a few minutes, then back up. It's never gotten bigger than it originally was.  Could this be a mucocele? I read where you can develop them on the hard palate from trauma. I guess it's possible that's why the antibiotics never took it away. :(
Yes, that's definitely possible. They'd have to remove the mucocele though to get rid of it.  It won't go away on its own.  Ya, mucoceles tend to change in size when there's salivation (such as eating times versus non-eating times).
It's back down this morning. Very weird. I learned from the urgent care Dr yesterday that the anterior portion of the hard palate has no salivary glands, is that true? What type of thing could make it go down at night then get bigger during the day. It goes from just ever so slightly raised to  a hard pea sized bump. :( Dentist next Wednesday.
Is this bump on the anterior hard palate?  

Does the bump change in size during the day throughout the day or does it just gradually get firmer as the day goes on?
Yes, Dr Tsang. It's on the anterior hard palate. He said it was a tori. It's not right along the midline though. It's just yo the right a little. Yes it goes down during the night while sleeping. It gradually gets bigger as the day goes on. It does feel like bone, very hard. If it's a tori why isn't it closer to the midline and why does it get bigger throughout the day. You can not push on it. There is no pus in it just rock hard. :( He said to let the dentist look at it but his thoughts is a tori. Thank you.
I should have said it goes down some. It reduces in size to about a 1/4 of what it is during the day. It's very baffling. The urgent care doc couldn't hardly see it but it's definitely there. What type of thing would vary in size? I feel like I'm going to lose my mind. :(
Yes, tori, as far as I know, don't change in size.  That would seem odd.  Just wait til you see the dentist.  If they're not sure, they'll most likely order a biopsy and see what it is.
Thanks Dr Tsang. Wednesday can't come quick enough. I'm very concerned.  Do you think it's possibly from the toothbrush jabbing and scraping my palate? Like some sort of scar tissue? I guess the urgent care Dr was full of crap.....there are salivary glands on the hard palate and from what I have read, 80% of minor salivary gland tumors are malignant. :(
I was looking at my upper molars. I have a filling in #14 but the tooth is dark gray. Looks like another tooth that I had a root canal done on years ago. It too is dark gray. Is it possible that this bump that is straight out from tooth number 14 is infected  but no pain. Possibly the root is infected? The only pain I have is if I press hard on the bump. It hurts in the palate. So scared to go to dentist Wednesday. :(
The bump is located between the maxilla bone and hard palate. I can move it around with tongue. Feels like a bb underneath but when not pressing on it gets a little bigger, firmer, and spongy feeling. :(
Hmm.. I mean, it could be an abscess of some sort but then you would more than likely have some pain on the tooth as well.  Also, antibiotics should have remedied it to a certain extent.
Thanks. Very scared for tomorrow's appt. :( Sick and can't eat.
Best of luck!  Hopefully nothing serious and a quick fix.  But more importantly, just figuring out what it is so you can get it taken care of.
Well, it's a mucocele. Feels hard to me but dentist was able to palpate it and said be could see a little divot where he thought the gland was. He said that's why at night it goes down to almost nothing. It 're-absorbs itself only to slowly get bigger after eating. It's not huge but to me it feels huge. He said it should eventually go away on its own. Didn't see any need for me to consult an oral surgeon. Yay! Thank you for listening to me and guiding me through this. I wanted him to pop it but he said our better off letting these go away naturally if they aren't painful. He said you could do more harm guessing where the gland is. :)
Great.  Glad you figured it out.  

=)
Well, it's still here. It goes down flat during the night. Then gets slowly bigger as the day goes on. If I suck on ice it shrinks down to a bb size and I can move it with my tongue under the skin. If this is scar tissue and not a mucocele would I get that swelling ? Gland clogged maybe? This is the strangest thing. Don't think it's going to go completely away on its own. :(
If you want to remove it, ask for a referral to an oral surgeon and they'll remove the mucocele for you.  Otherwise you may just have to wait it out.  
2

You are reading content posted in the Dental Health Forum

If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
The first signs of HIV may feel like the flu, with aches and a fever.
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.