Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dental Health Community
7.44k Members

2nd root canal but still have abscess

Hi I just had a second root canal and two days after I start getting a bubble on my gum above my tooth. A little history, the first root canal was done over a decade ago and last month I had terrible pain and the appearance of the abscess on my gum just above the problem tooth. I went on antibiotics first and then after popping the abscess on several occasions only to have the abscess come back. I know it isn't recommended. The pain went away but the abscess remained. It would calm down / deflate after a good cleaning (waterpik, brushing session and then Listerine for 5 minutes) but the next day when I would eat food especially spicy foods or heavy flavored drinks, the abscess would start to swell up again. There would be no pain like when it initially appeared but I would feel the irritation on the gum. So on Tuesday April 6th, 2015 I had a dental procedure. However the Endodontist, who did the original root canal, said he filled the tooth with medication and left it with a temporary filling. He said it may or may not resolve the issue. Now two days later, I see a small abscess on my gum after eating a sub with heavy sauces. No pain. Is there no recourse but to extract the tooth? Would cutting the gums open and cleaning the affected area help? I am doing the old water and salt treatment hoping it will help. Appreciate any good advice. Thanks.
1 Responses
If you have the financial resources or adequate dental insurance coverage you should consider seeing a periodontist as they specialize in treating conditions of the gums. I'm currently struggling with a gum problem that sounds a lot like yours, and am anticipating getting a root canal done next month, followed by treatment by a periodontist.
Have an Answer?
Top Dental Answerers
taipei, Taiwan
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.