Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dental Health Community
7.44k Members

Abscess Trouble

I have a broken tooth which abscessed. The oral surgeon gave me antibiotics several months ago. I have been trying to get the money together and the abscess got worse. He switch me to the Z pac yesterday when the pain got very intense. My lips and cheek are now very swollen overnight. I can not get in to have the extractions until August..Is it dangerous for me to wait? The swelling continues to get worse by the hour..
1 Responses
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hello,
A dental examination is necessary for correct diagnosis and management of your condition. A tooth abscess is usually a complication of tooth decay. Prompt treatment can save the tooth and a root canal may be recommended in an attempt to save the tooth. Untreated abscesses may get worse and can lead to life-threatening complications. You have already been taking antibiotics but the symptoms have worsened so you may need draining of the abscess and using antibiotics to treat non-serious infections and for a prolonged period can make them less effective at treating more serious infections causing antibiotic resistance. Amoxicillin is drug of choice.Metrogyl can be used as an alternative drug. Discuss your concerns with your dentist. Do write to me again.
Best luck and regards!
Have an Answer?
Top Dental Answerers
taipei, Taiwan
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.