Dental Health Community

Abscess after bone graft

Should I be concerned that my oral surgeon placed bone grafting material immediately after extracting a tooth with an infected root?

I went to see an oral surgeon 5 days ago.  After a panoramic radiograph he told me my upper left molar (tooth 15) needed to be removed as it had an abscess forming at the root.  He convinced me to have bone grafting done at the same time in the event I wanted to proceed with an implant down the line.   This was done on a Friday.  By Monday the pain was still so severe I called the office and was told I should give it another day or 2 and if there was no improvement they would see me the next day, which is today.  This afternoon pus began to flow from the extraction site.  I immediately felt relief from the pain but realized I should get in sooner rather than later.  I called the office again and was told they would see me in 2 days.  After expressing a lot of concern, they agreed to have me in tomorrow.  I am wondering if the graft should even have been placed in the presence of an infection and what I can expect of the currently placed graft material.  Just to note, I have been on Amoxicillin since the extraction / grafting.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Infection of bone graft material is rare. Your oral surgeon will decide if  the procedure need to be redone after examine you.