Dental Health Forum

Abscess on gum

I had a tooth extracted about 6 months ago, but a piece of the root was left in the gum. Recently I developed an abscess from the root and went back to my dentist. He gave me amoxicillin which I finished taking a few days ago, but the gum boil is still there. It's like a big lump on my gum. I've been referred to have the root fragment removed by a different dentist, but the appointment isn't for another 2 months. Should I worry that the gum boil is still there? Should I go back to my dentist?
You should probably go back and possibly see if a different antibiotic may be more effective in treating the area temporarily until the root can be removed.
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.