Allergy to composite resin

Has anyone ever experienced a systemic allergy to composite fillings?  Since I had all my mercury fillings removed (by a qualified specialist) and only when I started refilling the teeth with composite resins did I begin to experience itching (a feeling coming from the inside, out).  I had temporary fillings before the permanent ones and those were fine.  When I first had the composite fillings applied, I experienced some sensitivity in certain teeth which my dentist redid and used a protective layer before refilling the teeth.  For about 3 months now I've had to take an antihistamine tablet every other day because the itching keeps returning.  I have ruled out food, chemical and environmental allergies and have been told by a gynecologist that this type of allergy is not due to hormones.  I've asked my dentist if there is any test I can do but he doesn't know of any and I am considering consulting an allergist but I would like to know if anyone out there has ever experienced this and what you've done.

The allergy could be from another source but it seems too coincidental that the itching first appeared after placing the composite resin fillings.

HELP!!
I agree. What crap is being used to make this stuff??! I got a composite resin inlay on my back tooth as the dentist said it would look good and prevent shadows on surrounding teeth as opposed to silver fillings. I believe RelyX was one of the materials used.  Directly after getting the filling, my mouth tasted metallic. Then I had to go back because I couldn't floss properly so dentist filed btwn the teeth. Tooth was also sensitive when I chewed. A few weeks later I noticed my tongue had indentations in it and for 5 months now they've been there along with a sour taste...sometimes more prominent than others. What the heck?? Have made an appointment to get this out and will get a silver filling put in...I hope that stops all this or I will go insane.
I have taken 8 otherwise healthy teeth out so far because of resin. I have 8 more that have resin on them and the torture has not ended, but I do feel slightly better. If i can get dental coverage thru obamacare I'll remove all teeth and go for dentures...
Kindly let me know your experience as I am also contemplating removing some of my teeth due to health issues from reisins
I had composite veneers placed on my 4 front teeth about 10 month ago. Since then I have been suffering with dry mouth, sticky saliva, burning tongue, headaches and fatigue. I have deep cracks in my tongue and white coating.
I was 100% healthy before I put the veneers.
I have several composite fillings because my previous dentist said I had "sticky spots" he didn't want to turn into cavities. Thinking I could trust him, I proceeded to have the fillings. While most of them are very small and/or shallow I've battled chronic debilitating migraines and anxiety disorder and have tried everything else to solve this issue to no avail. I'm convinced more than ever it's due to the fillings because before that I never had a migraine nor anxiety disorder. Of course, because they are composite and not amalgam (mercury) fillings even my new dentist, a biological holistic dentist, dismissed my claims saying she doesn't think it's because of the fillings. I'm telling you don't give up. Find a holistic biological dentist who does compatibility testing. That's what I'm looking for now. Keep talking to people, telling your story, and NEVER give up. Someone somewhere has to know the answer and what is causing your problems. Please update us on what you find out along your journey.  

FYI, some composite materials you will be fine with but others you might have an allergy or sensitivity to. Be careful which dentist you use and look for a holistic biological one that practices safe amalgam removal if you need procedures done. Also be sure they are fluoride AND BPA Free. It's a shame we can't trust and rely on all professionals equally and it's really hard to find the good from the bad but keep pushing.
Despite the pain I have been through, it is equally painful to read all your stories and the ignorance of the dental and medical communities on this.  My nightmare started 7 years ago after a biological / holistic dentist (or whatever bogus name they call themselves) removed mercury amalgam fillings from 3 teeth and replaced them with composite resin restorations.  He also found work on 8 other teeth where he placed composite restorations.

After this, raging fire appeared on my gums/jaw bones, inside my nose, eyes & head every time I ate.  At times the burning was so bad, that I could not keep my eyes open or hold my head up.  I also had fatigue, shortness of breath, swelling of my tongue with teeth marks, a muscle contraction at the base of my tongue and shooting pain into my head when I would swallow water causing severe bursting headaches.  When I contacted this dentist to see if these dental materials could be causing my burning symptoms, he told me NO and said I probably had dry mouth.

I then consulted with a neurologist (who was more interested in prescribing drugs than trying to find out what was causing my symptoms), a neurosurgeon (did brain & cervical MRI’s), a DMD and an ENT who could find no cause for my symptoms and severe pain.  Through my own research, I found how toxic these composite resin dental materials are. They are made from petroleum byproducts and contain ground metals to give them strength.  The National Institute of Health even posts an article on the release and toxicity of dental resin composite.  

I consulted with an Internist who agreed that the source of my severe pain was dental materials.  He referred me to an old school dentist who still practices classic dentistry that was taught back in the 70’s.  He only does cast gold restorations (inlays, onlays and crowns).  Over the past year he has slowly removed the toxic composite resin restorations from my 12 teeth and I have gradually improved.  Currently I have 7 teeth restored with cast gold restorations.  Recently when he worked on a tooth, he had to make a new temporary for it and I took a step backwards because the temporary also contains petroleum byproducts.  The cast gold restorations are cemented with zinc phosphate which does not contain any petro chemicals.  

I was told by the medical profession that burning mouth syndrome is a menopause symptom.  It is NOT a menopause symptom, it is a dental material problem.  On the website 1800dentist, they list everything except dental materials as the cause of burning mouth syndrome.  

Not only do the composite resin materials cause pain and suffering but they cause decay and kill teeth.  While my dentist was removing some of the composite resin material from the exposed tooth surface, he noticed something at the gumline.  He cauterized the gum tissue to remove it down to the root and found decay which started below the gumline and went all the way down to the root.  If he had not found this, I would have lost the tooth and needed a root canal.  My dentist has commented on how healthy my gums are so the burning symptoms and decay below the gum line are not related to a gum infection. The petroleum byproducts affect the pulp of the tooth, thus causing decay below the gumline where you are not even aware of it.

I hope to be finished with the 5 remaining teeth by the end of June.  I will report back if all my symptoms are gone after finishing my dentistry but up to this point it has been promising.  

What a sham that the Dental Association allows toxic composite resin to be on the market.  They need to do clinical studies.  They will find out that every person that has burning mouth syndrome has composite resin dental materials in their mouth.  Even if your symptoms are different than mine, the toxic composite resin affects your entire system.  Your symptoms can be different based on your genetic weaknesses.  If you developed symptoms or your existing symptoms got worse after having composite resin restorations placed in your teeth, most likely the dental materials are involved.  Even if you developed digestive issues, joint issues, blood issues, etc. after composite resin placement, it can be related to toxic dental materials as they affect your entire system.  

I also had a zirconia bridge removed and felt some relief from its’ removal.  Zirconia, along with Cerec and the rest of the composite materials are all toxic. These dental materials are at the root of our country’s healthcare crisis.  The medical and dental communities have failed to realize it and only through drugs at it.          
I agree.  I tried to have one replaced with gold foil yesterday but chickened out.  I need to just do it.  

Did you get the rest of yours out?  How vastly have your symptoms improved?

I have swelling under jaw and cheek rashes.  Swelling so bad it's hard to breathe.
Hello, I can identify with your story as I do experience similar issues. Right now I am totally messed up. How is your health situation today?
***I FEEL SICK! And I'm so glad I found this forum...I finally have proof that it's not just me. I want to say that I sincerely feel for all of you and I'm sorry for what you are going though. Please know what you are going through is real. Don't let any one try to convince you otherwise. I'm a regular person living a normal life and never had ANY issues with dental materials ever in my life. My original porcelain bridge ( no metal in it) that I had in for 7 years never caused any problems other than not fitting right and being too bulky, and I found a wound under it where my tooth used to be that never healed because part of the bridge was pushing too high in that spot.  
Here is my current problem: early April this year I had my old Porcelain bridge replaced with a new bridge with a new material called Zirconium and it is very shiny. (The material feels like the coating used to make non-stick floors so you don't slip). I recently read that zirconium is the new thing to make fake teeth look more realistic. It has grooves in it and extra shiny like real teeth. During my first exam before we even started any procedures, my dentist briefly mentioned that she wants to use a different material for the bridge (which is the zirconium). I knew nothing about it...but trusted my dentist. No pros and cons mentioned, so I figured she knew what she was talking about. Long story short - I still have the zirconium bridge temp cemented in so I can see if I like placement, size, shape, etc. Since I had it in, I've had WEIRD symptoms: EXTREMELY dry mouth and white coated tongue. Loss of appetite, I feel tired a lot (I'm normally a super hyper and happy person) and I wake up with a gross white paste as if I'm a smoker. I do not smoke, nor have a ever smoked. My tongue feels huge, tastes terrible, and has blisters on the side of it. My gumline where the 3 unit bridge and one veneer is is swollen and bleeds when I brush (my gums were healthy and did not bleed prior). I left a message for the dentist re this but have not got a call back yet. I go in next week and will discuss it then. My main worry is that this materials used in the bridge and veneer, and the materials used to make all of our dental work SHINEY could be cancer causing and Leak into our bodies, swallow after swallow. Someone out here has to open their eyes and help. I know the labs and dentists make a lot of money...but at the expense of all the patients suffering and who knows whatever else can happen to all of us later...and future patients. sounds like it's becoming an epidemic. Are we all just guinea pigs??
I agree
Clifford Materials Reactivity Testing (CMRT) is a laboratory screening process used to help identify existing sensitivity problems to various chemical groups and families of compounds in an individual patient. This process is currently being implemented in the CMRT Dental Test. After a patient’s test has been completed, the patient’s reactivity test results are compiled in a report. We are currently reporting on over 11,000 trade-named dental products and 94 chemical groups and families. We have also added a Orthopedic panel reporting on over 3900 trade-named products for surgical applications.
In modern society we come in contact with many substances every day in the food we eat, the products we use and the treatments we receive.
Because each of us possesses a unique biochemistry, these substances effect each of us differently and in varying degrees. For some, the effects of certain substances (and their corrosion byproducts) can be toxic and hazardous, and may result in serious health problems. A substance which causes little or no reaction in one individual can prove harmful to another.
Since these effects may vary in each of us, it is vital that these factors be considered when choosing dental and other materials for use in the body, especially in patients with special or unique health concerns.
Clifford Materials Reactivity Testing (CMRT) provides dentists and physicians with extensive information about their patient’s individual sensitivities so that least offensive materials can be chosen and used in their treatments.

You are reading content posted in the Dental Health Community