Dental Health Forum

Bump on Tongue

Hi Dr.  Yesterday I felt a sore lump on my tongue, it was red and raised a little.  This morning I checked and the lump is still there but now all the little papules (is that the right word!?) are yellowish white.  The lump/bump is right in the middle of my tongue.  It's sore to the touch and not a very hard lump but rather large for a bump on the tongue, about the circumference of an eraser head. Of course when you put lump on tongue into a google search, the only thing that comes up is cancer.  I'm a 32 year old female who has never smoked so that seems unlikely but I guess it's never out of the question.  I keep feeling it with my finger which I'm sure isn't helping the situation.  Is there cause for serious concern?  How many days should I wait if there is no change before I go to the dr?  Thanks.
If the lump is still there in 7 to 10 days then see an oral surgeon for a definitive diagnosis. I think it is appropriate to check these things out but in all likely hood it is nothing to be concerned about.
Sorry, I also wanted to ask if it was possible that it could be a bug bite?  The thought of that is gross but it seemed like it may be a possibility.
you did not disclose your age, but being a non smoker (and hopefully you never used any tobacco product) it is probably not cancer. but it does need to be checked by an oral surgeon for a definitive diagnosis, and to hopefully ease your mind.
it could be a canker on your tongue.  it will go away within a week
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.