Burning Sensation/Sensitive Tongue

I've had a burning sensation on my tongue for about 1.5 weeks and I dont know if I should visit my dentist or make a doctor appt. My tongue feels as though I've burned it but I havent. Its very sensitive to citrus, spicy foods and its hard to even taste the food. Its even difficult to brush because of the toothpaste, it feels like my tongue and mouth are burning. Also, at the same time the sensations started, I got small red bumps all over my mouth. Very small but visible very close up. Its almost like my lips are chapped. I used 1% hydrocortisone on my lips and that has made the bumps smaller but my tongue condition seems to be getting worse. What can it be? And who should I visit: doctor or dentist? Someone told me it could be an infection trying to get out of my body. Could that be true? Could it be a vitamin deficiency? What can it be related to? I'm an otherwise healthy 25 year old that eats right and exercises. Thanks for your help!!!
Since I am not a drinker, there must be another reason for my burning tongue I just have to go to the doctor to help figure out why.  Thanks for your comment.
My dentist told me that burning tongue is more prominent in postmenapausal woman but didn't give me any advice on how to treat it or live with it.  He told me to look it up on the Internet!  Thanks a lot!!
do you smoke? Yes
do you have allergies? No
do you currently take meds? which ones? Sertraline, Metropolol, lisinopril
have you recently stopped any meds? Cipro (after a recent foot surgery)
Do you wear lipstick?what brand? No
have you had dental work done recently? No
have you had nose problems or surgery? No
Here's my latest ... i have suffered intense pain for 4 years with this affliction ... i have found that by wearing mouthguards from my Colgate Whiter Smile Teeth Whitening Kit ... the pain goes mostly ... i have visited close to 40 doctors in Australia with the summary being burning mouth syndrome with no cure. The less i eat the more it hurts also as a general rule ... malabsorbtion is a possibility (google it) ... but my mind is now set to have all my fillings removed (Thailand is cheapest) to see if i can solve this ... if not I'll have all nice new fillings.

If you look up Oral Lichen Planus as a result of allergy to dental restoration materials ... you may get a clue ... i'm not wasting anymore money on dr's who don't help. There is another possiblily why wearing plastic mouthguards dramatically helps the problem for me ... it's called electrogalvanism (google it) ... it's the effect of 2 disimilar metal inside your mouth turning your saliva into battery acid and making your mouth hurt like hell.

Anyway, i hope these suggestions shed some thought and direction to help solve your pain ... I've tried everything and this is where i am currently at ... good luck.
ive had prob 4 yrs  and thought it was tooth whiening now think its a tongue prob not teeth
I to have the same problem as many of you dry mouth tongue sore,have had  2 legions taken off tongue good nothing bad.I to have GERD have taken nexium for a long time.what happens when go to sleep at night it is better to sleep on your left side because your food digests better.My ENT told me it was inflammation and I do have an autoimmune disorder do not what kind but think it is Lupus. This will help your mouth eat a lot of celery, chamomile tea,rinse your mouth with  a little salt backing soda and warm water it will reduce the inflammation and also pepto bismol put on your tongue or mouth with a q tip it also helps.I think the medicine for GERD takes out to much magnezeum.Sorry I do not spell so good
I have burning mouth syndrome and am hypersensitive to acidic and spicy foods.  I usually suck on an ice cube to soothe pain.
I have has a sensitive tong off and on over the years. When it happens, I review the foods I have been eating and whether I have been drinking enough water.

I have found by drinking more water, lowering the acidic foods I eat and supplementing my diet with vitamin b12, the symptoms  do go away. This has worked for me every time.
An iron or B12 vitamin deficiency has been linked with a burning sensation on the tongue. An iron deficiency is caused by a decrease in red blood cells. People can acquire an iron deficiency from a poor diet that is low in iron-enriched food, from poor absorption of iron, or from major blood loss. Iron deficiency can cause a painful, red and shiny tongue, which may manifest in a burning sensation. Vitamin B12 is an important vitamin that aids in creating our genes and maintaining the amino acid homocysteine. A deficiency can be caused by poor absorption, excessive alcohol consumption, autoimmune disorders, or the long-term use of acid-reducing drugs. This type of deficiency can cause a noticeably sore tongue that may feel like it is burning.
I find myself wondering if frequent acid reflux might irritate the tongue and then make it more sensitive to other irritants?
Ok So the front half of my tongue is mostly numb, but painful at the same time. I have had this many times before but only for brief periods ,say a couple times a day.But with days or weeks between. This time it has been on and off consrantly for 2+ days. First I can feel it tingle a bit,followed by numbnes,and then pain. Weird how painful it is, and it seems a little swollen, also the veins under my tongue seem to be huge and a very dark purple.I am not on any new meds,havent eaten,drank any thing new, havent done anything new.WTH?
Any chance to see pics of your tongue? Having an unexplained dry and white tongue for about 20 months now.
I have the same issue with the stinging inside my mouth and I am on Topamax also as well as Cyclo...or the generic for Flexeril... so those may be contributors..
I have had the same problem.  What I have done is twofold:  1) I changed to a sensitive toothpaste (with not whitening products in it , and rinse with very mild brands ( no alcohol) , I also  highly dilute the rinse.  My dentist gave me dental paste to put on my tongue and gums as needed.  I also make sure I brush and floss every night before sleep.   It took a few weeks, but finally got the burning to slowly go away.   It has now been about 6 months and if I eat anything  coursely textured  ie: (cookies, , chips etc )  it will sometimes come back, but I use the dental paste to get it calmed down.  
I was having a lot of pain on my tongue and it would get worse everytime I ate anything.I started to eat on the right side of my mouth just to avoid my tongue and the pain altogether. Here are some things that helped lessen my tongue pain. (1.) Stay hydrated and drink a lot of water. (2.) Brush your teeth (especially everytime you eat)-bacteria collects on the tongue so everytime you eat, try brushing your teeth and lightly brush the tongue as well (either with a scraper or toothbrush). (3.) See if you have a vitamin deficiency-Vitamin D or Vitamin B12. (4.) This worked for me well. I mixed half hydrogen peroxide/half warm water and I swished it around my whole mouth for a while and then waited until it got foamy and collected the bacteria from my mouth and spit it out. I then rinsed my mouth with warm to lukewarm water swished again and spit it out.

I just tried the half hydrogen peroxide/half warm water mix today and just made some dinner and my tongue felt so much better. The hydrogen peroxide mix helped relieve my pain. My Vitamin D is also low and I don't know if that was the reason I was having tongue pain but I bought Vitamin D3 supplement and just started taking 2000 IU/1 per day.

Lifestyle and STRESS can really play a role on our nerves and could play a role in tongue pain too.

If anyone has tongue pain for longer than two weeks it wouldn't hurt to go to a Dentist just to make sure it isn't anything serious like an infected abscessed tooth or a blocked salivary gland.

I decided to post because I came across this page when I was researching tongue pain and wanted to share what helped me. This is a frustrating problem that doctors sometimes blow off or take as nothing serious but to the person experiencing it, its anything but.

Hope everyone is able to find answers to help relieve their pain and will share anything that has helped their tongue pain on this page for anyone who is suffering. Thanks. :)
I was told I had a Vitamin D deficiency also.   Maybe we are on to something here?  I blew it off as nothing important but my tongue hurts on and off and still has burning with any salty or vinegar food items.  
what is the dental paste called?  Can I get it in drugstore?
If you haven't done so. Visit your dentist and ask him/her about herpetic. gingivostomatitis.  Everything you have described sounds exactly like that. The chances of you having contracted it rise exponentially if you work in the NICU/PICU part of a hospital, work with young children in any capacity, have young children at home or have EVER done any of he aforementioned. It takes about two weeks to go away but the dr will prescribe pain meds and Magic Mouthwash. (The best thing ever made)

I wish you all the best
It is observed that mostly when used Colgate paste, or keep paste for longer time in mouth or eat fruits like watermelon, Papaya are eaten in ample quantity.   reduce the quantity of paste applied on your brush, and clean it quickly by mouth wash with plain water and then, try "Smyle Mouth Ulcer Gel", you will get relief in no time.  Apply and don't spit, keep the mouth juices produced, in your mouth only and when it gets diluted sufficiently you can swallow the same without any hard.  Apply as SOS to get relief.  this i am writing out of my own experience.
I have had pain for over three years. The last doctor said I have nerve damage from being emotionally traumatized and he gave me pills that don't work. I drink water, chew gum and mints and use mouth rinse but I continue to suffer.
This is the best thread ever! I have spent the last few days reading it. All but one person was extremely nice and just genuinely seeking advice or offering advice. My tongue has gotten a little more sensitive over the years but became extremely sensitive recently after using an albuteral inhaler. The doctor said this was thrush and prescribed a "swish and swallow".  This didn't seem to help and it has continued to get worse over the past two months. Vinegary, spicy, and bubbly things hurt as well as Sensodyne toothpaste etc. Dr. Put me on iron last week because of anemia. White blood cell count and cholesterol are also high. Dr..told me to take a combination of zinc 100mg 1x, magnesium 100mg 3x, and lysine 1500mg x2 for the burning tongue. I will try it but if that doesn't work I will try the folic acid. I also have celiac disease and have recently developed an intolerance for alcohol. I take requip, pamelor, spironolactone, zyrtec, astelin, nasonex, adderall and now lipitor. I have terrible allergies and will have them retested soon. I also grind my teeth and wear a night guard that does have that acrylic that someone mentioned. Thank you to everyone, it is a relief that this a real thing and that I am not alone.
I don't use any of them things and i have had this for about a month now and no work done either so i don't know why this is happening. I got to the doctor on Thursday so i will let everyone know what e has to say about it and what test he is going to run on me.
Had this two years.  Dr dentist dental surgeon no idea. Tried b vitamins.  nothing. One dr said Tagamet worth try...no.  It would be ok in morning and progress worse. I had root canal and post core that I think set it off. I cried. Drank cold water. Then I tried alpha lipoic...and folic acid.   It seems like that fixed...dunno...
If you make to many changes at one time you will not find the problem, you need to do one thing for two weeks then do something else that way you can pin point it, i have stomach issues and been working two years to figure it out and it came down to BREAD I love bread but it has cause some major complications and now I am doing great.  Oh and the ringing in my ears has stopped also.  Good luck with finding the issue hope you feel better.
Deficiencies of iron, folate and vitamin B complex have been associated with a burning sensation in the mouth.
I have, always, had a sensitivity to acidic foods. . limes, lemons, etc.  Not all the time but sometimes throughout my life.  I get little bumps on my tongue that go away in about 15 to 20 minutes.
About 2 weeks ago, we went to a Mexican restaurant.  I had a margarita and was eating chips and salsa.  I immediately had tongue problems.  As always, it went away.  About 4 or 5 days later, we went to a DIFFERENT Mexican restaurant and from the first bite of salsa and chips, my tongue started burning like crazy.  Went home and looked at my tongue and the left side was red and towards the tip looked like it had been burnt.  I thought the salsa ddid it and it would go away.  It has been over a week and it is red with a vertical bump down the left side.  I cannot eat salsa at all w/o it burning.  Everything else seems ok with the exception of a slight burning with Dr. Pepper.  I plan to go to the Dr. Monday if it isn't better.  It is making me crazy.  I need to go and see if there were ever any answers.  I noticed the most recent is 2012.  It is now 2014.  
I see your point but I googled this issue and found his question.  I have seen several who have found relief with certain vitamins.  I do not mind reading about everyone's issues because I want to see if any of them are like mine.  I think that is what these forums are for.  If they had the exact same problem and found something that works, it would be very helpful.  
100% agree with the iron deficiency/ice eating.  I was low on iron many years ago and ate ice like crazy.  When I got my iron back to normal, the desire went away.
I get the burning tongue and sores on the sides of the tongue when this one specific person comes into work.  She knows I am allergic to sesame. I think she sprays herself with it. Whenever she comes in I get the terrible burning sensation.  I think I am going to quit because my boss will not do anything about it.
I have had this problem with my tongue for several months-  Your post hit a nerve - I too had unexplained vertigo about 1 year ago- went to the hospital etc - still unexplained.  I am a 65 year old male - was smoking cigars and stipped as I suspected the burning etc was tongue cancer - my Doctor checked out my tongue and said its in my head -   I hope we can get to the bottom of this it is very annoying
What you describe is exactly my symptoms... have you found anything to make it better?      thank you Bill
I have been following this post for about 2 months.  I saw several fixes but nothing worked for me.  I went to the doctor in January.  He diagnosed me with a mild case of thrush on my tongue.  He gave me Nexium which did nothing.  Then a rinse which worked for about 3 weeks.  Finally, I went to my dentist the other day.  He couldn't find anything wrong with my tongue whatsoever.  He told me to start using Biotene toothpaste and stop using whatever I was using which was Crest Total.  So far, it is working.  I can eat salsa, now.  It is 95% better.  I still have minor issues but nothing like before.  I only use Biotene and I brush my tongue when I brush my teeth.  Also, plan to get a new toothbrush every 2 or so months.  Thought I'd log into this site and share this with everyone.  Try Biotene and see if it works but I'd not hesitate to go to a dentist.  
I agree, Biotene works the best so far.  I am not on any medication, but citrus seems to inflame it, not oranges, but lemons.  I have read alot of the postings and as usual, the medical community is unhelpfull, however the posts have been excellent, and I am so pleased to find help.  You guys are great.  I am  also going to try Alpha Lipoic Acid and a periwinkle derivitive.  Will report back.
I am so glad to see I am not the only one who has this issue of burning tongue and no Dr can figure it out, my tongue also bleeds at times and just recently my bottom lip has been swelling, and of course I smoke so they blame all this on that, well I don't I am on so many meds that to me they can't blame it all on smoking, and I to have gerd and a slow digestive system ever since then my tongue has been like this.

Joyce
So happy to find others with this issue.....mine comes and goes....gets worse when I eat acidity foods......like pineapple,,,,etc...
Dr. has no idea what is causing it......and as with others....I get so frustrated when it flares up,,,,,gawd....you can hardly eat anything.......,,
I am curious to know what you found out, Shootingstarz. I have just spent the past half hour cruising through this site. My symptoms have been:  GERD, and hiatel hernia diagnosis. Now taking 20mg Prilosec daily. Have been on that for one year. I have noticed a few "taste" issues. A month ago, I picked up my husband's Sprite, had a drink and nearly threw it all up. It tasted like pure burning chemical to me. I was shocked that he was even drinking it. Sometime later, I had a vodka and tonic with lime - IT WAS TERRIBLE. I notice the very back of my tongue and far back on each side "burning", irritated, even. I have now been paying more attention. Anything that is fizzy tastes HORRIFIC and burns a little. I have started to notice this week that my tastes buds just aren't quite "right". It should be noted that I believe I am slightly dehydrated often. I use cinnamon Crest toothpaste two times a day. I do take Vitamin B+ and D+ daily. I plan to switch to Biotin toothpaste, change out my toothbrush. TRY REALLY hard to up my water intake, but I am not sure what else I need to do. I feel a "gross" taste at the back of my mouth...
Regarding tongue burning...medications will not help.  I too had these symptoms. The symptoms are caused from a food allergy.  Turns out I am allergic to cashews.  If you have the burning, swelling, and pain you have a allergy to a particular food.
I've had burning tongue for about 2 years and I finally isolate the cause to salt.  Any salty food or drink will agravate the burning tongue symptoms.  

I now eat a low salt diet, which is difficult as everyone puts lots of salt in everything.  Some restaurants have low salt foods, like McD and in-n-out will serve fries without salt.  I hope this help some of you out there.
Wanted to add some comments to my last post.  I've tried most things posted on here: biotene, several mouth rinses/washes, changing toothpaste, dental work, vitamins (B/multi/etc), lysine, etc...and nothing helps. I spoke with several MDs with little help.  The only thing that helped was the reduction of salt in my diet.  Eating salt causes the symptoms, and depending on the type of salt and quantity, then symptoms can last for 2-48 hours from one meal.  Oh how I miss those salty popcorn, salty corn chips with salsa....

It does help to rinse with water after eating.  
do you smoke? No
do you have allergies? Yes
do you currently take meds? which ones? No
have you recently stopped any meds? No
Do you wear lipstick?what brand? No
have you had dental work done recently? Yes, but symptoms existed before dental work
have you had nose problems or surgery? Yes, spinal fusion about 6-12 months before symptoms started

See previous posts about isolation of symptoms to salt in diet...
I too have these symptoms.  Mine first appeared shortly after breaking a tooth and the sharp edges seemed to automatically attract my tongue to the sharp point.  I had the edges of the tooth rounded, but symptoms remained. Had the tooth reshaped and filled....no help. Interesting that my symptoms seem to reach a peak about the time I'm worn out for the day....then after a nap or night time I'm okay until I've had my first cup of coffee.  Then the symptoms start again.....burning tongue, sucking of the inside of my mouth and tongue....tingling on the sides of the mouth, lack of taste or foods tasting strange.

I would like to know if an increase in stress is playing a part in any of this.  As I've tried ENT specialists, Dental TMG specialists and Medical Doctors.  So far everything they have prescribed (B vitamins, Biotin, Different Tooth paste, Flexeril, Ibuprofen, tooth gaurds, etc.) but little to no help. I DO however see some similarities with others on this thread (which could be coincidental).  

do you smoke? No
do you have allergies? Yes, which progressed into full blown Asthma until I stared taking regular allergy shots about a year ago.
do you currently take meds? which ones? Levothyroxine for thyroid, Statin drugs (Cholesterol), Omeprazole for GERD, Tamsulosin, Flexoril,  
have you recently stopped any meds? No, but don't take as many allergy drugs or nasal sprays as I once did.
Do you wear lipstick?what brand? No
have you had dental work done recently? Yes, and symptoms began shortly after dental work
have you had nose problems or surgery? Yes, had my nose broken 30 years or more ago....had triple bypass about 12 months ago, colon resection and knee surgery.

ALSO....I'd like to know if people on this thread have had recent loss (death in the family or friend, loss of job or major change in job/career, divorce/separation, move of residence...etc.)  I'm frankly finding that the only relief I get is

do you smoke? No
Do you wear lipstick?what brand? No

ALSO....I'd like to know if people on this thread have had recent loss (death in the family or friend, loss of job or major change in job/career, divorce/separation, move of residence...etc.)  I'm frankly finding that the only relief I get is from massages or compresses (hot/cold) sometime around the neck. I even went to my chiropractor which helped for a few days after he adjusted my neck and jaw.  Will check back here to see if anyone else has had any relief via stress reduction.????
Are you on Topomax?  That would explain it.
Your doctor can give you a mouth rinse that not only disinfects, but numb your mouth as well.  
Until you get to the doctor, Chloraseptic spray can help numb the irritated area so you can at least eat meals with less pain.
Thanks so much.  I read a lot of comments and your's fit the answer I was looking for.  I think I don't drink enough water and I will look into the other suggestions. :)
How is your tongue? I'm having the exact same problem,
I have had a burning sensation every time my finger or nails make contact with my tongue. But this has only started recently, and I've recently started using a new brand of nail polish, so that may be it. It feels as if I am putting pepper spray on my tongue every time I touch it! I should probably just stop chewing my nails!
Get your vitamin B12 levels checked, this can be a symptom of deficiency or pernicious anaemia. Don't take supplements, they will skew results &  unless you are vegan won't help you, but could delay diagnosis, which can lead to neurological problems & more  
that's herpes.
That's not true at all.
Have you found any help with your tongue. I have same problem.the burning sensation to toothpaste spicy foods,drinks and food that are hot.i use B-12 vitamin spray on my tongue and it helps but it comes back.