Dental Health Community

Can I burst an abscess?

I've been on Amoxicillin for 5 days for a tooth abscess. I went to the dentist for significant facial swelling, and was diagnosed with the abscess. The swelling has gone down, however I now have a pus pocket on my gum above my molars. It's only painful when I touch it, but I can see the swelling under my cheek when I smile. Since I'm already on Amoxicillin, can I pop the abscess using a sterilized needle? It's Friday night, and the dentist won't be in until Monday...PLEASE HELP!!
COMMUNITY LEADER
Yes, you can establish pus drainage by yourself since you don't have access to a dentist for now.
My son had an abscessed tooth removed yesterday, a few hours later his whole cheek is severely swollen. He is taking amoxcillan 3x a day and ibuprofen. He's also been icing it. Its not getting any better. Help!!!!!
I have just had the same thing happen. It has been draining ever since and I have been doing strong and really warm salt rinses at least every 3 hours for the last week and it is still draining. I think that as long as it is draining a lot, it will take a while to get better but if after about four days get back to the dentist. By the way, a tooth should never be taken out while it is still abscessed. The antibiotic should be completely finished and all signs of the infection should have disappeared . Otherwise some very serious conditions can develop.