Can decay between two root canaled teeth cause pain?

So I have one upper molar tooth which was root canaled 10 years ago and one next to this which was root canaled 4 years ago. Last month my dentist mentioned I have a decay on one of these (i dont remember which one). We have arranged an appointment for the 15th of December.
But this week this tooth hurts even when brushing :(
I can not imagine how.. root canaled teeth can be decayed ok but pain? Why am I feeling pain if this tooth is basically dead for years?
Oh and in the mirror I think I see the decay between these two teeth.
I managed to see my dentist yesterday.
it turned out that I do have decay on this tooth and I feel pain because it goes under my gum.. so baically my gum hurts.
They put a temporary filling in and we wait now. he said that decay under gum is not a good thing at all :(

You are reading content posted in the Dental Health Community