Dental Health Community

Complications from Wisdom Teeth Removal

I had all four (three impacted) wisdom teeth removed thirteen days ago. My doctor did not prescribe any antibiotics which I thought was a touch odd since several of my friends have gotten theirs removed over the years and all had been prescribed preventatives.... in any case everything seemed to go normal, I followed all directions and as the days went by I seemed to get better in all ways but one...my right jaw and face still hurts as bad as the day of the surgery and I cannot open my mouth more than about a fingers width.

I went back to my doctor's office three days ago and got a bit worried with what he said, or really what he didn't say. Since I couldn't open my mouth all he did was prescribe me more pain killers and said if my swelling got worse it meant I had an infection and THEN he'd give me antibiotics. I mentioned that my gums on that side feel a bit puffy compared to the other side and he just shrugged and said my face looked fine. I've read online that jaw pain is normal for a time after surgery...but I've tried everything recommended, warm compresses, stretches and whatnot and it just seems to be getting worse....Am I expecting to be better too soon? Or is this unusual? Should I seek another doctor's opinion?

Thanks for your help.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Trismus is a common complication associated with  lower wisdom tooth extraction. If the condition persists after appropriate antibiotic administration and there is no evidence of infection, the cause may be tmj  pathology, instead of muscle spasm. Seeing a tmj specialist is advised if antibiotic doesn't resolve problem.