Dental Health Community

Could a painful soft yellow lump on roof of my mouth be extraction infection?

3 days ago I had a very painful tooth on the top right of my mouth extracted. The next day I noticed a lump in the roof of my mouth in the same area as the now missing tooth. It is soft and yellow in color, and now causing a horrible throbbing pain. I can't see the dentist again for another few days, and was wondering if this could be an abscess. I also wanted to know if I should be concerned enough to go to the hospital. The pain is driving me that direction anyway. Thanks.