Dental Health Community

Cryofreezing or Cutting Inferior Alveolar Nerve

I have severe damage to the inferior alveolar nerve following a root canal overfill.  The pain is unbearable and I have a lot of numbness in my lip, chin and weird sensations on lower right teeth, including pain near #31 where root canal was overfilled.  I had surgery six months ago to clean up the cement in the nerve canal.  This tooth has since been extracted.

My oral surgeon is telling me that the only real viable options are cutting the inferior alveolar nerve or cryofreezing the inferior alveolar nerve and hoping it regenerates well.  I would like to know the pros and cons of these procedures.  The overfill was about 6 months ago and my life has been turned upside down by the pain and numbness.  Any advice or recommendations would be helpful.  I want to know what to expect for short and long term, and to know what the recovery is like.  I have to get rid of this pain but I am terrified about doing something potentially irreversible without knowing how it will feel or what the likely outcome is.

Thanks.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Seeing a neurologist or orofacial pain specialist is advised. Cutting malfunctional nerve is probably not a good solution to relieve pain.