Dental Health Community

Dental Abscess! Help please.

Dental Abscess

SYMPTOMS:
Swelling on whole right side of face/gums
Extreme pain/tenderness along with pressure

On JUNE 1st I went to the ER because I woke up that morning with slight swelling that I watched grow throughout the day. The Dr. prescribed me 500mg penicillin vk. I take one ever six hours. I've been doing that since 9:15pm JUNE 1st and I noticed only a slight change in my swelling and none in my pain. If anything It looked like the swelling just shifted.

Today I went to the dentist and they were going to put me in an emergency appointment at 4pm but as I was sitting there waiting for the person I came with to get done with their appointment my abscess burst in my mouth! It started gushing out blood/pus so right there the dentist took me back and suctioned it out and hand to numb me several times. It hurt a lot but luckily I'm numb now.

They want to put me on another antibiotic (Keeflex?) but I don't have the money for it. I have about three days/two and a half days left of my penicillin to take though. Will that work/be okay or what should I expect? Even though she drained my abscess will it come back over night? If it burst does that mean the penicillin was working? Please help..
When this didn't improve within a few days you should have called your dentist.  With an abcess, antibiotics normally bring it down totally within a week, but if you see no improvement at all by the 3rd or 4th day always call your doctor.  Tell your dentist that you cannot afford the antibiotic she wants you to take and she can find something as good but more affordable for you.  This was a horrible thing for you to have endured....I just can't imagine!  A tooth infection can go to the brain and you're very lucky this didn't happen.  But considering how bad this was/is I would talk to your dentist about a more affordable antibiotic as I feel you need another complete round to make sure all infection is gone.  I feel so bad for you and hope this eases up quickly.  Take care.
I wen't to a different doctor and they prescribed me amoxicillin. I thought they were the same?
They are somewhat the same, at least amoxicillin derived from penicillin. Amoxicillin though is more powerful and wider range type of antibiotic.