Dental Health Community

Dental Abscess spreading?

I have a dental abscess on upper molar. It has been drained and I am taking antibiotics, but now my lower jaw is starting to hurt. Can this abscess be spreading from upper to lower?
COMMUNITY LEADER
Rarely
If the tooth is in the posterior (back) of your mouth it is possible, but unlikely. You may have another abscess that needs attention. Go see the dentist that treated you and see what they say. Also, be sure to finish your antibiotics so that the infection goes away for good. As well, did you have the tooth extracted? Almost always the tooth is unsaveable and has to be extracted--antibiotics only solves the problem temporarily. Abscessed teeth (especially upper) are not safe and can lead to serious consequences and need to be taken care of asap. Get to the dentist asap.