Seeing an endodontist to evaluate pulpal vitality is advised.
The throbbing pain stopped, but the tooth is still sensitive to pressure after 6 weeks, and I called to see if they thought that a root canal was needed. All the symptoms of still needing a root canal are there, such as percussion pain etc, and my tooth has a smell about it.
So I have decided to have the root canal which I am having tomorrow.
The issue is the tooth is sensitive when i push on the inside of the cusps, and I worry about a crack. After doing this if i push the other way I hear a slight crackling noise, as if there is a crack and the tow sides of the tooth are pushing back together.
I am so worried that I have a split tooth.
I know I will find out tomorrow but I am really worried and would like to know if it is possible for the cusps on either side of the tooth to actually move if there is a crack rather than a actual split throughout the whole tooth. My gut is telling me that movement, even though it is only slight, would only happen if there was an actual split and the two sides of the teeth were actually separated.
Please can someone reply to this!!!
I went to the dentist and when he removed the filling the tooth was actually split down the middle from front to back, and the pieces would move apart when pushed. He told me that it was completely split into two pieces.
He told me that there was no way of saving it due to where the crack was and offered to extract it there. I did not want to so went home, but after calling another clinic to ask their opinion, they also told me that a tooth that is completely in two pieces is pretty much unsalvageable and recommended that I get the tooth pulled. As the only time they could fit me in was today, or at the end of November right before a university field trip, I had my tooth pulled.
Most dentist websites I have seen have said that once a tooth is completely in half (it was not a one-sided crack) then it should be extracted.
Now I read of a case where a dentist glued the tooth back together and now I am wondering if I should have sought a third opinion.
I am currently in the UK and usually in the US and am worried that my own dentist would have saved it.
Your descriptions suggest extraction is indicated.
thank you. This makes me feel better about my decision. I had done searches online where a number of people had had part of their split tooth left in and crowned, but I have read that it depends on where the crack was and I assume that perhaps this would only work if over half the tooth was left, rather than two halves. I did have one part with the two roots, but the width of the piece was still half.