Dental Health Community

Does abcess (pus) heal itself after root canal?

I just had a root canal done because of an abcess tooth. My endodontist did not drain the abcess, only performed the root canal. He said the body will fight and clear the abcess naturally. I read treatment on the web and it says that abcess must be drained then root canal. Is my endodontist wrong? If not, how long does it take for the abcess to heal naturally?
I certainly hope you are on an antibiotic.  

You can use cloves for mouth pain and to cleanse the mouth.  

From the way you describe it, it sounds like you are getting terrible dental care, but I have no way of knowing what the dentist would say about his treatment.