Aa
A
A
A
Close
Dental Health Community
7.43k Members

Extreme swelling / abscess molar

Ok guys , so the original filling on my rear right molar fell out . I replaced it with some dental putty and the shut hit the fan from then on . I was in constant pain , I could not chew ANYTHING ! It got worse . My face started to swell with some of the most  terrifyingly  sharp pain I have ever experienced in my life . That was a week and a half ago . Now my lower face is completely swolen . Have not eaten in 5 days , my mouth will not open . And I am taking 30g of clindamycin every 4 hours and enough pain mess to keep me ok . The trouble I'm having is that it won't go down ? What's up with that ? How long ?
1 Responses
Have you made a dental appointment yet?  Those over the counter temporary filling materials can be bad news. When the filling fell out pressure could escape through the opening.  When you packed it with putty without removing the decay and treating any pulp damage the pressure can no longer escape.  (Think of it like a pressure cooker)  That's why you're experiencing severe pain and swelling.  You won't really be able to get relief until you're treated by a dentist.
Have an Answer?
Top Dental Answerers
taipei, Taiwan
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
If you suffer from frequent headaches, jaw clicking and popping ear pain, you may have TMJ. Top dentist Hamidreza Nassery, DMD, has the best TMJ treatments for you.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.