Dental Health Community

Filling has turned black

A couple of months ago I noticed a hole in my tooth, I kept meaning to get it checked out at the dentist but I never got round to it. About two weeks ago, that same tooth cracked.  

I had a temporary filling put in (and decay removed) until I could see my actual dentist which I was fine with. The pain from the temporary filling was horrible - not enough to make me cry but enough to anger me and make me want to jump on my own head but the pain went away a couple of days ago.

I also noticed that the temporary filling was loose and I often found myself moving it up and down with my tongue without realising.

Anyway, I ended up seeing my dentist and he basically said that I needed RCT and a crown which I was perfectly happy with - at this point, he could have extracted it there and then and I wouldn’t have batted an eyelid, I just wanted my tooth sorting out.

I have my RCT booked for Tuesday but about an hour ago I realised that my filling was now a black/brown colour when before, it was white and now it has changed colour.

The colour change has literally appeared out of nowhere? Yesterday, it was still white because I’m weird and terrified that it’s going to fall out so I constantly check it. I brush my teeth twice a day with a toothpaste that my dentist prescribed so I just want to know what it is and if it’s serious?

I read online that sometimes the colour of fillings change depending on what material was used (??) but I don’t know what filling type the dentist used so it’s a mystery to me. I just don’t understand why it’s suddenly popped up out of no where.

I also read that iron tablets have an affect on the colour of fillings and it was only yesterday that I started to take a course of three different iron medications because my iron levels were low but surely it wouldn’t kick in this soon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

(((It’s my second tooth on the left that is affected)))